Chapter 22: Snow's Return

My dearest sister,

I write to you with tragic news. Sejanus Plinth has been executed for treason. A jabberjay recording caught him conspiring with rebels to break a terrorist out of jail and run away from Panem. I understand this is upsetting, but it is now more important than ever that we maintain an image of patriotism and loyalty to the Capitol. Even here in the districts, where it would be expected to have an ill opinion of Panem, people are punished for outlandish ideas.

Despite this tragedy, I also have good news. I am being reassigned to District Two for officer training. I will earn a real salary and hope to make it back to the capitol sooner than expected. I countdown the days until I can see you, Tigris and Grandma'am again. I love you.

SLOT,

Coriolanus Snow

Rosella slammed the letter on her desk. Sejanus Plinth dead? Because of District Twelve? It seemed impossible to fathom. She remembered her conversation with him before he left

You are going to feel so alive someday Sejanus. All of this will be worth it. All the hurt is going to make you appreciate the good that much more. And you're going to do a lot of good. I know that. But you can't if you let it all end here. Go to district twelve! Learn to be a doctor or a medic or whatever you want! I know Coryo would appreciate the company and you are made to do so much more than a rich capitol boy, she had told him.

She should be crying, but she couldn't. She only felt numb. It was her fault. She was the one who encouraged him to go. He could have stayed, granted he would probably be miserable and ended his life, but it wouldn't be on her hands.

She sucked in her breath and pulled herself together before she started to cry. She had cried enough tears during the Hunger Games for three games.

"Tigris?" She called as she left her room.

"In the living room!" Came her reply.

"Sejanus Plinth is dead."

"What?" Tigris gasped.

"Coryo wrote... they executed him for treason in twelve." Tigris clasped a hand over her mouth. "And... he's going to District two for officer training. He could be back soon..."

"Oh my god!" Tigris gasped.

"He's going to make more money. We might be able to keep the apartment after all."

"Rosella... are you okay? Aren't you upset? Why are you talking about the apartment?"

"I don't know... that's all Coryo seems to be worried about! He told me we have to keep our family name strong and that I need to be more careful!" Rosella raged.

"Calm down..." Tigris whispered gently. "Just, sit down, take a breath." It was then Rosella noticed the guest in the apartment.

"Tigris is right," Clemensia Devecote spoke. "This has been such a hard year for all of us. But we have to try to move on..."

"Clemensia!" Rosella exclaimed. "What are you doing here? How are you?"

"I came to see you," Clemensia stood up to hug her. "Tigris told me you've barely left your room. So I had to come see you, like you did for me. And remind you who the hell you are! Do you think this is what Sejanus would want?" Clemensia choked up at the mention of his name. "Now, more than ever, we owe it to him to stay strong."

Rosella shook her head. "For what? It's over. The games are over. Not only that, but they were a massive success. I've done the exact opposite of what I intended to do!"