Chapter 11: The Future President And Livia Cardew

The night before the games, Rosella was a wreck. Coriolanus had returned from his final visit with Lucy Gray. He was upset too, but also had somewhat of a giddiness to him.

    "What's going on with you?" Rosella asked. Tigris looked up from the bills she was reading, interested as well.

    "Lucy Gray... I think she's fallen in love with me," Coriolanus replied.

    "Well, duh... I've been saying this since our first visit with her at the zoo," Rosella smirked.

    "Do you feel the same way?" Tigris asked.

    "I don't know... I kissed her goodbye."

    Rosella gasped with a smile. "Yes!" She exclaimed.

    "On the cheek?" Tigris smiled.

    "On the lips..." Coriolanus smiled too. "She's something else..."

    Rosella giggled and nodded. "Yes she is!"

    "Oh, Coryo..." Tigris sighed. "What are you going to do?"

    Coriolanus thought for a moment. "I'm going to win."

*****

    Later that night, as the Snow family headed to bed, Rosella knocked on Coriolanus's door.

    "Come in," he mumbled from his bed. Rosella opened the door to find him on his side, staring at the wall.

    "Can I stay in here tonight?" She asked softly.

    "Of course you can," came his reply. He scooted closer to the wall the bed was against to make room and held up the blankets for her to get under.

    "I don't know what to say, Coryo... I'd ask how you're feeling but I imagine there aren't really words to describe it." Rosella whispered. She laid down to face her brother.

    "I guess I'm just trying to focus on keeping her alive. Winning the whole games is way too daunting to think about, but thinking if I can just get her through hour by hour makes it seem more realistic." He replied.

    "I know you used to stay quiet about the whole Hunger Games thing... what are your thoughts now? Now that you're so close to it?"

    "I want to kill everyone who had anything to do with it. But I don't know if it's because I've gotten close to Lucy Gray. I keep trying to think if I had another tribute, like a district 1 or 2 boy I had hoped for, if I would feel the same way..."

    Rosella nodded. She knew what he meant. "It would be better to imagine if it was your name they drew. How you would feel being taken from the only home you've ever known, thrown into a monkey house at the zoo, starved and beaten... and then having some wealthy, privileged capitol kid try to make you perform. Lucy Gray must really like you. I wouldn't be if I were her. When I put myself in their position, I think I'd rather just die. Even if I were to win, I wouldn't be able to live with it."

    Coriolanus wrapped an arm around his sister. "I'll never let you die Rosella. Not while I'm alive, I promise you'll never get hurt."

    "Well, as long as I'm alive, I want you to promise to try to make this world better," she replied. "You're going to be a fantastic president. And I'll be there to tell you what to do the whole time."

    Coriolanus smiled. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

    "Maybe you can make me your vice president. Or the official national anthem singer. Or a chef at the presidential mansion. I like baking. That way I'll always be right there. Lurking over you."