Chapter 19: The Comfort Of Cousins

Coriolanus went home that night after an uneventful day, aside from the publication of his sister's controversial article.

"Well... it seems your future is set. Lucy Gray gets out, you get the money for tuition... you're that much closer to being president," Rosella said as Coriolanus entered his apartment.

"Rosella..."

"So... will you continue the games? When you're president I mean."

"I don't know..." Coriolanus admitted. "Would you hate me if I did?"

"No," Rosella said without hesitation. "You're my brother, Coryo. We're family, that'll never change."

"Well, I promise to at least make it better for the tributes."

"Coriolanus, that was not the point of the article!" Rosella followed her brother to his bedroom.

"If I become president, Rosella, it will take a lot to change everything. I can't just eliminate everything the capitol has known."

Rosella sighed. She knew he was right. If he took away everything at once, he could be thrown out or assassinated. The possibility of ending the games was drifting further and further away. She still followed him to his room, not done lecturing.

Tigris was waiting in his room, looking slightly distressed.

"Is everything okay?" Rosella asked her.

"Oh yeah... it's fine," she replied, but it obviously was not. The worry was evident on her face and she was clutching her mother's fur coat in, evidently indicating some anxiety, especially to those closest to her.

"What is it?" Coriolanus asked. She shook her head.

"Come on, what?"

"I wasn't going to tell you until after the Hunger Games . . ." She fell silent.

"Well now you have to, or we're gonna think the worst," Rosella said. Coriolanus nodded in agreement.

"We'll figure something out." She started to rise.

"Tigris," Coriolanus pulled her back down. "Please, what is it?"

Tigris reluctantly reached into her coat pocket, pulled out a letter marked with the Capitol stamp, and handed it to him. "The tax bill came today." She didn't have to elaborate. Her expression told him everything. With no money for the taxes, and no way to borrow more, the Snows were about to lose their home.

"Let me see," Rosella said, snatching the bill from her brother.

"Ro, it's not going to help..." Tigris sighed.

"Why, I'm good with numbers..." Rosella mumbled.

"That's not exactly the point..." Tigris responded.

"You know I have some money saved from teaching piano lessons and stuff. I could get a job... Scotty's parents would definitely let me write for the newspaper..."

"No, Rosella! You need to focus on school and your music... and you're not using your savings. I will figure something out."

"What are we going to do?" Coriolanus spoke up.

"Nothing until the Hunger Games are finished. You have to focus on them so you can get that Plinth Prize, or at least another one. I'll handle this end," Tigris responded.

"Does anyone feel like a fireplace sleepover?" Rosella asked. Coriolanus and Tigris agreed quickly. They took their blankets and pillows out to the living room, as they had done so often as children. It would seem now they needed each other's comfort more than anything. Knowing very well none of them would be getting much sleep, they sat up for a while.