Chapter 35: The 11th Annual Hunger Games

"Hey, guys... do you have a minute?"

"Rosella... What can I do for you?" Alister Bock asked.

"You told me if you would um... understand if I needed to take some time off. That you wouldn't make me do something I don't want to do..."

"Of course, Rosella. That's always the case here," Gemma said.

"I don't think I can do the interview thing. Actually, I'm going to stay away from the spotlight in general for a while. I'll come back... once the games are over... I just can't, um," Rosella stammered softly. "I just need to... get away, clear my head..."

"We understand, Rosie," Gemma insisted. "C'mere," she moved to hug the young girl, who looked more battered than usual. "Listen... why don't you spend some time in the opera house. You're welcome to it any time. Music heals more than people realize."

"I know that..."

"Don't lose your passion. You've been giving this job your blood, sweat and tears. And you have been killing it. But don't push yourself to the point where you don't love music anymore. It's happened before. Come in here, write some songs, play around with things... It doesn't always have to be so intense and grueling. I think letting yourself loose a bit could do amazing things. You are an exceptional person, musician and artist. Truly." Gemma said earnestly.

"I will. Thank you."

"Is there anything else we can do for you, Rosella?" Alister asked.

"There is one thing... It's more of an idea right now..."

*****

Rosella stayed at the Hartford's manor to avoid any part of the Hunger Games. She loved it in the countryside. She had everything she needed. They had a beautiful grand piano, a massive swimming pool and of course, the stables where she rode every chance she got. Maximus stayed with her as well, and he loved the space to run and be off leash. It was much different from the penthouse, and both dog and owner enjoyed the freedom.

Coriolanus was not so thrilled with the arrangement. He told everyone she was ill, and never gave details. He was not incorrect. Rosella was ill, just not in the sense her brother would like people to believe. He had not seen her since the breakdown, mainly because he was too busy with the games. Livia had seen her at times, while riding at the stables. She assured him his sister was doing fine, which was the best he was going to get until the games ended.

They would be starting that day. Coriolanus spent the night at the lab, planning everything meticulously.

"Mister Snow," Dr. Gaul greeted him. "You are certainly dedicated."

"I want this to go well," he said simply.

"Your father would be proud. This has become even bigger than even he could imagine."

"I'm sure if he was given the chance, he could make them into something great too."

"Perhaps. We have a full house." Dr. Gaul changed the image of the arena being projected to a stadium of spectators who would watch the games from the screens. People were dressed lavishly, chattering excitedly. Children were there too, which Coriolanus was particularly happy to see. The new generation would grow up understanding the need for the Hunger Games, and appreciating the power and glory of the capitol. And it was all because of him.

Rosella would hate him for it, but he understood he would need to make sacrifices to gain power. He would still love her though. Even if she was too naive and uneducated to see why the Games were necessary, he would still make sure she was protected unconditionally.