Chapter 9: The Ballad Of Lucy Gray Baird

Coriolanus, having no interest in conversing with Felix and Pup, remained outside of the classroom door to listen to Lucy Gray and his sister's conversation. His heart almost stopped when he heard Rosella say "as his first lady." He hadn't thought that far ahead. He was trying to come to terms with the fact that Lucy Gray, his sweet, beautiful Lucy Gray, would most likely not survive these games. It was a painful thought that he tried to suppress as much as possible, but it was there.

Persephone Price, much to his dismay, approached him to recap the events of his sister's confrontation with Felix Ravinstil. She had found the whole thing hilarious, saying she had wanted to do the same thing for years. Coriolanus could only focus on the faint smell of steak on her breath, wondering of its origins.

He listened to Rosella and Lucy Gray's voices warming up with a few scales and arpeggios. There was a distinction between Rosella's refined soprano Lucy Gray's soulful mezzo. But the difference between which had grown up singing for supper and which had been trained and educated extensively was not so evident. The voices blended and harmonized beautifully. If Lucy Gray ever wished to stay in the capitol, she would make a wonderful addition to Rosella's ensembles.

Focus on getting her through the games first, he reminded himself.

Someone came into the halls and instructed all mentors and tributes to come backstage for the interviews to begin. He opened the classroom door to beckon Rosella and Lucy Gray. He couldn't help but smile when the two hugged.

"I'll be in the audience! You've got this," Rosella said.

"Thank you again, for the guitar... and everything," Lucy Gray replied.

"Yeah thanks, Ro," Coriolanus added, giving her a quick hug. "I'll come get you after?"

Rosella nodded and hurried off to the audience, leaving Coriolanus and Lucy Gray alone.

"My sister has taken a liking to you," Coriolanus said.

"Yeah, well, feeling's mutual. She's a beautiful girl. Inside and out," Lucy Gray replied.

"Yeah, she really is," Coriolanus smiled. "So are you." He took in the newly cleaned dress, courtesy of Tigris. She had cleaned up slightly otherwise too, and her eyes appeared more deep and doe like than ever before.

Before she could respond, Lucretius "Lucky" Flickerman's voice came over the speakers, and they were rushed backstage.

Only about half of the tributes elected to participate in the interviews. Along with their mentors, they answered simple questions about themselves and their strengths, in an attempt for the audience to get to know them. Coriolanus requested to go last, knowing his Lucy Gray would be the showstopper.

When it came their turn, he introduced himself briefly, then gave the stage to Lucy Gray. He needn't do anything more, as he had introduced Lucy Gray to Panem on their very first meeting.

"Good evening," she said. "I'm Lucy Gray Baird, of the Covey Bairds. I started writing this song back in District Twelve, before I knew what the ending would be. It's my words set to an old tune. Where I'm from, we call it a ballad. That's a song that tells a story. And I guess this is mine. 'The Ballad of Lucy Gray Baird.' I hope you like it."

When I was a babe I fell down in the holler.

When I was a girl I fell into your arms.

We fell on hard times and we lost our bright color.

You went to the dogs and I lived by my charms.

I danced for my dinner, spread kisses like honey.

You stole and you gambled and I said you should.

We sang for our suppers, we drank up our money.

Then one day you left, saying I was no good.

Well, all right, I'm bad, but then, you're no prize either.

All right, I'm bad, but then, that's nothing new.

You say you won't love me, I won't love you neither.

Just let me remind you who I am to you.

'Cause I am the one who looks out when you're leaping.

I am the one who knows how you were brave.

And I am the one who heard what you said sleeping.

I'll take that and more when I go to my grave.

It's sooner than later that I'm six feet under.

It's sooner than later that you'll be alone.

So who will you turn to tomorrow, I wonder?

For when the bell rings, lover, you're on your own.

And I am the one who you let see you weeping.

I know the soul that you struggle to save.

Too bad I'm the bet that you lost in the reaping.

Now what will you do when I go to my grave?

    Coriolanus was startled at the song change. It was not what they had practiced. He looked out to the audience and noted the reactions. Rosella, in the front row, was noticeably crying. He wasn't sure if it was only due to the song, or because she knew the whole story, or if she was just sad about the games again, or all of it. But he did know that the audience, who were oblivious to anything prior, had similar reactions. Many had tears in their eyes, and others sobbed openly. Those who weren't crying were still clearly moved and infatuated with Lucy Gray.

    He had never felt such jealousy.

*****

"I think that went well!" Rosella exclaimed as her and Coriolanus walked home. "Don't you think?"

    "Yeah... it was good." He replied quietly.

    "Coryo..." Rosella said, taking his arm. "You know it was about her ex boyfriend right? She told me the story. He cheated on her with the mayor's daughter and then the mayor read out her name in the reaping. It wasn't even her name drawn. That song was revenge so that everyone would know. We all saw them on the screens."

    Coriolanus digested the information. "Her boyfriend cheated on her?"

    "Yeah... crazy, right? I hate men." Rosella responded.

    "Yeah... I heard you made that pretty clear to Felix," Coriolanus's solemn expression turned into a smile.

    "Well, he was being quite aggravating," Rosella explained with fake daintiness. "I did not think it was appropriate!"

    "No, I'm glad you did. It's good to see you sticking up for yourself."

    "Only trying to improve your technique, my dearest brother."

    "Oh, is that right?" Coriolanus jokingly pulled her into a headlock and pretended to ruffle her hair.

    Rosella gasped. "No! Tigris will kill you!"

    "Her handy work?"

    "Yes!"

    "It looks nice. The braid suits you."

Authors note: thank you all so much for reading and I hope you are all enjoying! I have not been able to put this story down and I apologize for the random update times and disorganization.
I'm hoping you all caught on to the braid reference. It is meant to reference Katniss, but also Prim, particularly when she goes to see Peeta when he's still possessed! I thought it would be an interesting concept in that an older President Snow may see his own sister in Katniss's (get it, Rosella, Primrose)! Barbie in the Island Princess is not the only reason I chose this name:)