Chapter 29: The Fall Of A Snow

"Hi! Astraea, Astraea Snow? I'm her granddaughter, Rosella Snow, I got a call that she was here?"

"Oh, yes, she's still being seen, your brother and sister are in the waiting room."

Rosella spun away from the nurse's station, then changed her mind. "Thank you," she said quickly. She never did bother correcting people when they assumed Tigris was her sister. She was more of a sister than a cousin anyway.

"Rosella!" Tigris exclaimed, running towards her cousin.

"What happened?" Rosella asked.

"Oh, Ro, it was so awful. Right after you left with Pippa- oh no, the party! How did you get here?" Tigris asked, referring to the event that she had been attending at the Hartford's house.

"Their driver brought me, never mind that," she said quickly.

"I think it was a stroke... her face went all droopy on one side and she couldn't talk... At first I thought she was just confused, but then I noticed she could hardly get words out at all," Tigris explained. "Anyway, the doctor just has us waiting here, we're not allowed in."

"Oh dear..." Rosella said. "Where were you?" She turned to Coriolanus, noticing the particularly fancy suit he wore.

"Out with Livia," he responded. Rosella sat down next to him.

"Okay... what is going on with you two? I always thought you guys didn't get along," she said in an attempt to distract from the stressful situation.

But Coriolanus did not seem stressed at all. "We didn't. We still don't," he said without emotion. She's loud, rude, obnoxious. I don't even like her. But I can't be with someone I like. Falling in love is dangerous, Ro. You know that better than anyone."

"I never loved Wren. I thought I did, but looking back, I have no idea why."

"Well... relationships in general then. I don't care for them, but if I want to be president I'll need a First Lady."

"Why Livia?"

"Her mothers rich, successful. Her family is important and marrying her will bring power. And she has absolutely no intelligence, so she won't try to take control or sway my opinions. It's worth it, even if she was awful to me when we were kids."

"You were no saint to her, Coryo... I specifically remember you calling her stupid and ugly before she ever said anything bad about you."

"Well," Coriolanus scoffed. "She was."

"I think you trick yourself into thinking everyone is against you, so you turn on them before they can turn on you. But for what it's worth, I like Livia. I think you would too, if you got to know her besides her family."

"Livia is an idiot, Rosella. Don't listen to anything she tells you-"

"She doesn't need to tell me anything. You forget, I grew up with you guys too. She's not an idiot, don't diminish her just because she has more trouble in school than you do. Have you ever thought the reason she's so loud and obnoxious is because she's so used to having to scream for an ounce of attention someone like you gets?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Women shouldn't have to excel to be noticed for the same thing a man can be mediocre at."

"Are you saying I'm mediocre?"

"Of course not. I'm saying she is, and that doesn't mean she's bad or dumb or ugly or anything else. It's okay to be just an average person. And she should be allowed to be without being looked down on by you, her family and society."