Chapter 2

I lay on a bed, staring at the ceiling, in a room provided to me by the servants who work in this remote mansion.

How long has it been since I've been doing this—maybe a few days at least or a week at most?

"Haa"

Taking a deep sigh, I continued staring up at the ceiling. What should I do?

The servants who were taking care of me were gradually coming to see me less and less, partly because I didn't want to leave my room and I was just ignoring them when they tried to communicate with me.

The chances of a noble among the old nobility faction being born without magic are incredibly rare, only happening a handful of times, with the last one happening over a hundred years ago.

My family probably has about a month or two left to stall from announcing that I have no magic.

I guess the reason my father didn't just get rid of me outright is because a lot of people have their eyes on me, even the royal family. To them, I was a gem among the next generation of aristocrats, seeing me as highly valuable to have, which is why I was the fiancee of the 3rd prince.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised that they already know that I have no magic.

What should I do? I've been asking the same question again and again for the last few days.

There is nothing left for me. Once everything had settled, I'd probably be married off to the son of some random family since my blood is still valuable to families outside of the old nobility faction. I doubt he would not care who I'd end up with, and it would probably be an easy way to get rid of me.

Suddenly, an idea sprang up in my mind as I was mulling over what to do.

There was no point in being in this family; I'd just run away since I wouldn't benefit from being in this family anymore.

The last town I passed, riding the carriage to get here, was the town of Farsbarow. If I remember correctly, it was a beginner-friendly adventurering town, which is about a day's carriage ride away from here.

I can't really escape right now; it would be a bad idea just to run away. My clothes are not proper attire for traveling, and I have nothing to my name. If I'd run away right now, I probably would get myself killed, get lost, or be found and brag back by a search party sent to find me.

So then, I'm going to have to make a plan for my escape and look around the mansion for things that could help me.

I waited till night, when most of the servants were asleep, to roam around and get a layout of this manor.

10 minutes into roaming around, I heard two pairs of footsteps around a corner. I quietly opened a door to a room on my right as fast and quietly as I could to hide from the pair of footsteps. Less than a minute later, I heard two female voices chatting, probably maids working the night shift.

"Thought I heard something."

"Maybe you're just hearing things."

"Sigh. I really hate that it's our turn to do the night shift; I just want to go to bed already. Can't they hire more servants so we don't have to do this?"

"I doubt anyone would want to work in a place like this; we better hurry and finish our chores for tonight."

As they were walking off, I heard them begin talking about me.

"Oh, have you heard about Lady Rita?"

"Ya, who hasn't?"

"I wonder what happened to her and why they just dropped her here."