Chapter 3

"Ha, ha, ha, ha."

It hadn't even been an hour after I left the mansion; I was already out of breath, and my legs were really killing me. I haven't felt this exhausted since I was inducted into the military with my sister Norn to become a pilot.

I'm starting to regret not exercising before I ran away. In honesty, why did I think I could just walk there with no problems?

By the time the sun rose, I managed to reach a split in the road.

Deciding it was a good opportunity to take a break, I looked around and saw a big rock on the side of the road and sat on it. Then I took out a flask of water to drink.

"Blegh, how do people drink this?"

Not trying to spit it out, I swallowed it. I know the vinegar in it is supposed to keep the water from going bad, but still, this is nasty.

I put away the flask with a sigh and pulled out a map from my backpack. I was supposed to reach the split a while ago, but it took way longer than I expected because I forgot to account for the fact that I was a kid, not an adult, so it's going to take even longer to get there.

Looking at the map and doing some math, I try to figure out where I am on the map and where I want to go. Then I figured out how long it would take to get to Farsbarow, which was at least two to three days.

Okay, I'm going to have to cut my break short then. I reluctantly stood back up and continued walking, taking the left road on the split.

I walked for the rest of the day till I reached a lake I was supposed to pass by in the afternoon.

It was almost dark, and seeing the lake, my legs finally gave out, and I fell to the ground flat on my face.

"Uuuuugh... I don't want to walk anymore."

There was a small clearing next to the lake for me to camp out for the night, so I begrudgingly got back up and dragged my feet there.

I gathered some twigs and wood to make a campfire.

I sat on a log next to the fire. I took off my boots and massaged both my feet.

"Ahhh, this feels nice."

My feet feel extremely sore from walking all day, so massaging them feels really good right now.

After massaging my feet, I took out the rations I packed in my backpack for my escape. They were a pouch of dried meat, bread, and some trail mix.

I think I should make a sandwich for dinner. Putting two pieces of bread and some dried meat together, I bit into it, and I immediately knew that it was a bad idea—a very bad idea. It was so hard, I thought I'd nearly chip off a piece of my tooth trying to bite into it. Why did I think it was a good idea?

Oh right, I forgot this is travel bread; it was made to be non-perishable, so it was made to be hard instead of the softer bread I usually eat.

I looked at the flask and took another deep sigh for today. I guess the only way to eat this is to soften the bread.

After pouring some of the water on the bread, I managed to cram the sandwich down. I'm honestly starting to regret running away in the first place if it was like this. The bread was now all soggy and tasted like vinegar.

While struggling to eat my dinner and contemplating my choices, I heard rustling behind some bushes. Immediately I was on guard, pulling out my knife and dropping my, frankly, inedible sandwich to the ground in the process.

"Who's there?"

I shout in the direction of the rustling. Did the servants find out I escaped and send people to find me? I doubt it since it would be too soon for any of the servants to notice I was missing.