XI. Napkin Notes

You looked around, deciding that reading the note in front of a bunch of kids in a diner was not the best idea.

You look over to Evan, a small smile on your face, "So will you be having your birthday party here, if you're having one?" You ask, trying to make conversation, the silence was quite awkward.

Evan quits eating his food, looking up at you.
"Yeah, my parents don't have to pay since they own the place." That might have been the most words you have ever heard Evan speak.

You nod, a grin on your face, "That's awesome! Do you think I could make an appearance?" You raise an eyebrow, trying to give off a charming smile.

Evan gives a small smile in response, "Of course." He says, beginning to eat his food again, signaling that the conversation was over.

Elizabeth turns towards you, "I'm so happy you're going to the party, Y/N! It will be so much fun with you there!" The young girl grins, shoving a fry into her mouth.

You chuckle, "I'm glad you think so."

You decided to leave the kids to Michael and William, grabbing the napkin with the note on it as you approached the exit of the building.

You unravel the napkin once you get outside and onto the sidewalk, making your legs go towards the playground instead of your home. You'd left your brothers at the hands of the two boys as well.

"Y/N, I am genuinely sorry. I didn't want to say this, because I didn't want you to think I was pitying you. Your mother told me about your friend and the Walkman. For that I apologize endlessly, and I know there is nothing I can do to fix what I have done, the Walkman I bought you means nothing in comparison to the latter.
Please find it somewhere in you to forgive me though, because I do not do this often."

Interesting.

You approached the park, looking up from the note, shoving it back into your back pocket.

Maybe you would give Michael's number a call.
Later, of course, he was still working.

You roam towards the parks swing-set, taking a seat as the chains holding the seat rattled against you.

The chains squeaked as you swung back and forth. You stared up at the sky since you didn't have your Walkman.

Half an hour passed of you just sitting in silence before you heard sticks cracking behind you.

You quickly whip your head around, and it's a little girl, almost looking as if she was trying to hide from something.

"Hello?" You whisper, tilting your head in confusion.

The small girl puts her finger to her lips, "Shhhh!" She says, quickly running past you and up to the playground.

You hear sticks cracking once again, you turn your head and see a boy that looks a lot like the little girl. Except he looked more your age than the girl.

"Have you seen a little girl? About this tall." He asks, motioning with his hands.

"Mm, no, don't think I have." You shrug, grinning.
"You're lying." He raises an eyebrow, a playful smile replying to yours.

"Me? Never." You tilt your head again, turning backs towards the sky and beginning to swing again.

The boy nods, running up to the playground, eventually finding the girl. You hear laughing and look up, seeing the boy holding the girl and tickling her.

"Bubby! Stop-" She could barely get any words out, she was laughing so hard.

You smiled softly, standing up and deciding to leave, not wanting to interrupt their moment.