A flicker of hope (5)

Trigger warning: physical assault 

꘎♡━━━━━♡꘎ ꘎♡━━━━━♡꘎ ꘎♡━━━━━♡꘎

Han hummed the new song lyrics he came up with over and over again. He already had an idea for the beat and he had been texting Chan about it until he stepped inside your shared apartment. The unfamiliar car in the driveway made him a little anxious.

You hadn't mentioned having any friends over, so perhaps it was a last minute thing. Before grabbing his keys, he tried the door and to his surprise, it swung open with ease. Usually, you lock the door after someone comes in due to safety reasons. You must have forgotten to do it today.

Han pushed the door shut, turned the lock behind him, and placed the tip of one sneaker along the back heel of the other. He was about to slip out of the shoe when the loud sound of skin hitting skin caused his head to jerk up. His eyes darted around the area searching for you, but you weren't around.

Heart heavy with worry, he left his shoes on and headed towards the sound. There was a grunt and another sound of skin hitting skin. Han rushed towards the kitchen to figure out the cause faster. He called out your name on the way, but there wasn't a response.

Walking into the entryway, he paused as he saw your older brother towering over you. You were on the floor with a hand pressed up against your cheek. Your brother's lips moved, but Han didn't know what he was saying to you. He couldn't hear it over the sound of his ears ringing.

"What the fuck do you think your doing?" He growled. His eyes narrowed into deadly slits when his eyes landed upon your brother's.

"Teaching them a goddamn lesson!" Your brother snapped back.

"Get out of our fucking apartment before I call the cops for assault!"

He rolled his eyes and began to walk away from you, but not before he blew a mouthful of spit down at you. On the ground, you flinched as warm saliva landed on the side of your cheek. You used your sleeve to wipe it away.

Seeing red, Han lunged towards your brother. He grabbed the back of his shirt and jerked him towards the living room. Your brother stumbled along as Han dragged him. Without a word, Han jerked the front door open, popped the screen door, and shoved your brother outside.

"And don't come back or else!" He yelled before slamming the front door shut and locking it.

In the kitchen, you were trying to recover from the beating your older brother gave you. When you heard a knock at the door, you thought it might have been Han home early. Sometimes he forgot his house keys. When you opened up the door, you tried to shut it, but it was too late as your brother forced himself inside the house.

Once Han came back to the kitchen, he wasted no time grabbing the ice pack from the freezer. He fell to his knees beside you and gently pressed the soothing ice against your throbbing cheek. "Do I even want to know why your brother was in our apartment and beating you up?"

"Because he's a dick," you mumbled in response. "He thinks I'm the reason his girlfriend broke up with him even though I've never talked to her before. He's a piece of shit."

"You can say that again. Are you okay?" Concern flooded Han's face. "Do we need to take you to urgent care or something?" His hand came up to cup the side of your face. His thumb gently brushed across your cheek.

"I'll be okay, it's just a few bruises."

Han nodded, stood up, and carefully helped you to your feet. His arm wrapped around your shoulders. "Come on, my treat. We can eat in tonight and watch that new anime you were telling me about yesterday."

"Really?"

"I think it's the least I can do for you right now." He led you over to the couch. "If anything starts hurting more, let me know. I'll get you to urgent care or a clinic or something." He plopped down on the couch and pulled you into his arms.

"Thank you."

"I'll do anything for you, baby."