Chapter 71

It was the last day of school in Yama High, everyone was excited for this very day, after all, there were no lessons today, they would be able to run as much as they wanted, throw and kick balls as much as they wanted, and most importantly, they were allowed to throw balls at other students without fears of repercussions... The last day of school in both Yama High and Tani High was a sports festival jointly held by both schools.

The official explanation for this event was to "help foster the cooperation between the two school schools and communities of the neighboring cities, to help the students of both schools to make new friendships through the heat of competition." This was all a lie, in truth this event was only created because the principals of both schools had a very long rivalry against each other, and this event was only a further evolution of that same rivalry.

Both principals had once fought... Played against each other in tournaments during their youth, yet neither could achieve a definite victory against each other. When they became older, they became generals... Teachers and managers, of their previous schools' teams, that they once participated in, yet as fate would have neither of them would still achieve an absolute victory against the other.

And now, they had become the principals of their respective schools, where they became able to command... Guide their soldiers... Students to the battlefield... Sports field, where they would each be pitched against the students of the rivaling school to obtain the glory of victory for their principal!

And of course, all of the students of both schools had to participate to maximize their chances of victory, save for those who participated in student council, as they were also assigned to help with the administration and command of the event and the students.

It would be under the scorching heat of this day, that both schools would have their annual sports festival, as all the students had a weirdly bloodlust-filled atmosphere around them, almost as if they would fight to the last man for that victory.

But for Yama High, the person representing them, in this case, Yuriko, was showing a genuinely happy smile while giving the speech written by the principal, and when she ended, she gave space to Himari, the representative of Tani High, and who differently from Yuriko she was on fire! She demonstrated the perfect example of competitiveness as one could clearly see that she wanted to win at all costs, as she shouted her speech with all her might.

" "..." "

Farther away from the podium being used for the speech, two students could be seen sitting under a tent's shade, it was a boy and a girl, who were both looking like melting blobs due to the infernal sunlight punishing them... Those two were Takeru and Sakurako respectively. Takeru was like that because he was just weak against too much heat and too much cold, so for him just being present was already hell. As for Sakurako, she had a lot more tolerance to the heat, but even then, she had a limit of how much she could tolerate, however, compounded by the fact that she hated doing physical exercises, her tolerance today was all-time low, meaning that she was just like Takeru, feeling like this was hell.

They were melting so much, that they hadn't even noticed that the event had already started, and as a consequence they hadn't noticed Yuriko and Himari returning to the tent assigned to the Student Councils.

" "... ... ...?!" "

"Takkun, here's some water!"

"Oi, Sacchan! You can't just start melting first thing in the morning!"

At the same time, the two felt the refreshing and life-saving cold of a chilled water bottle on their necks, which immediately brought Taker and Sakurako back to being humans, as they both desperately drank the water given to them.

"Whew... Thanks, Yuriko"

"Fufu, you're welcome, Takkun"

"Fuuu... Thanks, Himari-chan"

"Hmpf, it wasn't much, I was just doing my part in keeping you alive until the end of the event"

As the members of each student council interacted in their own manners, they all looked at the sports fields, where they saw the first teams of each school going all out against each other.

"... They sure are animated"

Takeru was the first one to comment when he saw the amount of fighting spirit coming from each student, and that appeared like it wouldn't be toning down anytime soon.

"Yeah, it was like this last year as well. Isn't that right, Himari-chan?"

"I told you to call me with san!... But yes, you're right, Yuriko-san, last year everyone was just as excited as this year"

"..."

As the two student council presidents talked, Sakurako remained silent, as all she could do was feel tired at seeing other people giving their all to run or shoot balls around. While she and Takeru could only do their best to avoid becoming melting blobs again, they would soon receive the most heartbreaking notices from their respective sides.

"Nee, Takkun, you're prepared to give your all at the relay race, right?"

"Sacchan, I expect you not to mess up during the relay race"

" "... ... ... Eh?" "

When they both receive the news that they will have to participate in a relay race, Takeru and Sakurako simultaneously make confused and despairing faces at the news, practically as if they were betrayed. But even as the two had stopped moving in the fields of battle... Sports, an intense... Friendly competition was ongoing.

"Crush them! Crush them! Don't let them hit with that ball!"

"Pass! I'm Free! I said pass, you fu-"

"Stop keeping the ball all to yourself! I also want to make a score against those weaklings!"

"Eat my dust, slowpokes! I'm speed! I'm the one with the wind!"

... ... ... This was an amicable competition with a lot of trash talk by both sides, that would surely not cause any resentment down the line and create even more rivalries. Nuh-uh, everyone will become besties, because that's how anime logic from Shonen series works... Yeah, I'm sure it was like that.