Chapter 2:Becoming One Of The Boys2

It had been a few days since the nuclear bombshell Cap dropped. I mean a mole in PD changed a lot. I never trusted them but then this was on a  higher level. In fact noone could be trusted. The vibes changed and it wasn't the same place anymore. I even ran into Rooster and Gnash on the verge of beating each other up after the latter was found 'roaming around' his locker. I mean what are we, 5th graders. This whole thing was getting out of hand but Cap wasnt even insinuating a further investigation. He had only dismissed us with a 'keep your eyes open and dont trust your own shadow'. Anyway, there had been no word or call from th5f5e mystery man and i was relieved, kinda. I mean i always anticipated his calls or anything, not that i cared or anything, urrggh forget that.Cap showed up. 'Cortenji, a word.' That was rare, very rare. I followed him into his office. 'Can i get you anything?' 'Coffee please' It made me focus. He went in to prepare it with the quick instant coffee making machine. The one gift people like me appreciated about our jobs. 'So i understand you were about to go on your night patrol.' 'Yes sir, im sure Gnash is waiting outside.' 'I dont think you will be joining him.' I tilted my  head in query. 'I have a much much better job for you. You see, the reason why i chose you is because i know your profile. You're hard core working, resilient, ambitious and best of all, intelligent.' Here im thinking to myself, nice job with the sweet talk Cap, not to bad for a widower with no children and zero experience with dating for 30 years. 'So, i have a special task for you.' He reached for his drawer and he |took out the last thing i expected. I almost gasped but no, this wasnt the time for melodramatic shit. I remained stoic. He held it up between his two fingers and looked at me as if looking for a reaction, he wasnt getting anything from me. 'Sir, in my understanding, its an inhaler.' '..yes, it is one.' 'It was found on one of our lead places. All the way in Michigan.' Ohk that was unexpected. I was in Ohio and i dont remember being there. Either this man was playing me for a one eyed idiot, or he was the one eyed idiot. 'Did you find this when you went there?' 'No, thats the weird part. We found nothing when we went there. We turned the scenes upside down but then,  a few days later, we found this. Infact it found us.' Yeh he was definitely the one eyed idiot. 'So did you check it for DNA samples.' 'Yes, we found none. But, what we do know is, whoever uses or used this, is someone amongst us.' My heart skipped a beat and i almost sank into im seat. I still remained stoic, guilty is as guilty does. 'Which is where you come in. Your job is to find whose it is, without blowing the case...I trust you Cortenji.' Something about that made me feel happy. For the first time after graduation and getting here, i was getting the acknowledgement i deserved. I felt appreciated and in control, like i always was. 'I wont let you down sir.' Ok hold on, not to disturb your little inauguration memory reminiscence,  but, how the hell are you planning on finding someone who ....happens to be you. Yeh, thought about that after giving what is known as,a cop's best word. I huffed at my own dilemma.
.
.
.
According to my 'procedure'i was supposed to first find out where it was gotten and therefore find who got it. What shocked me was, how the hell it got there? I mean Michigan and Ohio, WTF was going on. Maybe it really was the mole. Not who used, but put it. That was a big light bulb moment. Maybe the mole was in tge warehouse, and he found it. But, that only meant one thing, either that mole knew it was cop who dropped it, or worse,  it knew it was mine. Oh shit....