Arms and Legs

Detective Howell swallowed the urge to vomit as the boat swayed on the choppy sea. He hated it and not just because of seasickness, there was something deceptive and threatening about open water. He couldn’t swim and he didn't like the idea that something slimy and sinister might be lurking beneath him...waiting.
He shifted uncomfortably in his seat next to officer Yates and muttered, “When was the boat discovered?”
“Technically, yesterday. But the coast guard only started to worry when it was still anchored in the same spot this morning,” answered Yates.
“That's right,” added the squat man at the steering wheel. He turned his weather worn face toward them, “we hailed, but got no answer. Couldn't see anyone on deck so we took a closer look. We guessed he'd gone over but we didn't expect to actually find him, poor bastard was tangled in his line. That's why you never go out on your own.”
“So you think it was an accidental death?” quizzed Howell.
“Pretty sure, but you'll see when we get there. It's going to be a nightmare to write up.”
“Oh good,” mumbled Howell dryly.
A small trawler bobbed innocently in a secluded bay. Gannets cried shrilly from their nests in steep red cliffs as they approached. They hauled up beside the trawler and another man tethered the boats together, soon they were able to climb aboard.
Howell immediately took in the palid form of the body on the deck. The man stared sightlessly into the morning sky. A rope formed a tangled mass around his right leg, he followed the line with his eyes and saw it was connected to the anchor. The corpse's dark, curly hair had already begun to dry but his clothes were stil slightly damp.
“What time did you pull him up?”
“Around 7:30?”
“Ok, so about an hour and a half ago.”
He pulled on a pair of gloves and gently examined the body's hands. The skin was wrinkled across the palms, however it was not particularly bloated.
“A day or two would be my guess. He might possibly be our man,” He observed. Yates pulled out his notebook and began to scratch down notes.
Howell delicately lifted the man's shirt and rolled him into his side. On his lower back was a large dressing, already peeling away from his skin. He teased back the gauze and, sure enough, he could see a deep gash held together by butterfly stitches; It was poorly treated and obviously only intended to be a temporary fix. He pulled a tape measure from his pocket and measured the wound.
“Jon? Can you take a photo of this? The wound is about an inch and a half. I'm going to have a look for the blade.”
He stood up from the body and left Yates to gather evidence as he climbed down into the stuffy cabin and flicked on the lights.  He gingerly tried to maneuver around the tight compartment without disturbing its contents and immediately noticed the bloody clothing tossed in the corner of the room. His eyes swept over the remnants of a first aid kit and a bottle of whisky on the table, then his heart leapt triumphantly as he spotted the blood encrusted switchblade in the sink.
Gotcha! He thought as he took out his phone and began to photograph the scene before returning to the deck.
“We're in luck! I found the knife, with any luck the other man's fingerprints are there. Can we tow her back to shore? We'll need a full forensic team down here.”
“Sure, but that's not all!” urged the skipper, “wait till you see what he was doing out here.”
Howell raised his brow and followed the portly coast guard to the rear of the vessel. He could see the winch was dragging something behind the boat.
“The bouy there was already tied up to the ship so we figured he was trying to pull up whatever was on the end of it."
Howell looked down and saw a metal container: a creeping suspicion was beginning to take hold.
The coastguard went over to the winch controls and together they guided the container onto the deck. They unscrewed the hatch and Howell swore vehemently.
“This case just keeps growing arms and legs.”
Yates strode across the deck and peered over their shoulders into the container. Inside were bags and bags of suspicious white powder.