Police interview

Detective Howell was in a foul mood. With a frustrated sigh, he threw his car keys on the desk and slumped into his chair. Yates closed the door and sighed.
"Waste of time."
"Yup!"
"So we have no other leads?"
"Nope."
"Now what?"
"File the paperwork and hope someone fucks up."
Yates frowned at his colleague's unsatisfactory answer. There must be something they missed! It aggravated him to leave such a high profile case open. Every day they were bombarded by questions from the press about their progress ... or lack thereof.
Howell, flipped open his laptop and fired it up.
"Which one was Richard's again?"
"He drove the red Nissan."
"Ah yes." he drummed his fingers on the desk, staring blackly at the laptop, "Come on, useless piece of crap."
There was a sharp rap on the door. Yates opened it to admit a tall black officer.
"Afternoon, Rowan."
"Good afternoon," she said doubtfully, taking in the sour looks on both men's faces, "Jesus, who died?"
"It's nothing. We just followed up the last lead from the CCTV at Robinson's. No luck."
"Ah, well. I might have something to cheer you up then."
Howell raised his brows at her.
"Your John Doe might have just turned himself in. He's waiting in interview room three."
Yates' mouth dropped open and he glanced speechlesly at Howell who was already on his feet.
"Rowan, I could kiss you. When did he come in?"
She handed a clipboard to him as he approached and replied, "About fifteen minutes ago,"
He scanned the form and his eyes widened in surprise.
"You are kidding right?"
"I'm afraid not."
"What is he doing mixed up in something like this?"
"Better go ask him."
Howell and Yates rushed down the hall and entered the interview room. Noah sat at the table next to his solicitor, they had obviously been deep in conversation.
"Good afternoon, I'm Detective Howell and this is my colleague Officer Yates." He reached out and shook Noah's hand before settling into the seat across the table, "I understand you are here with information relating to our investigation.
"That's right," said Noah, shaking Yates hand.
"Can I get you a coffee or anything before we begin?" asked Yates.
"Just water for me, thankyou." Noah answered politely. His solicitor accepted Yate's offer.
Once everyone had settled in the room, Howell indicated the camera in the corner of the room.
"I just want to make you aware that this interview is being recorded, you are here voluntarily so you may stop the interview at any point. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. Do you understand?"
"Yes."
"For the sake of the recording please state your full name and address."
"Dr Noah Julius Courentin. I live at Weavers Cottage, Farwood Bioquarter."
"And your postcode?"
Noah answered their preliminary questions dispassionately.
"Ok, and I believe you said you had information regarding the incident behind Siren's nightclub on the 14th of October. Is that correct?"
"It is."
"Can you tell us what you were doing that morning?"
Noah took a deep breath. "I'll try but I don't remember the details well. I was walking down to the shore and I was grabbed. I was threatened and told to hand over my wallet and phone. There was a struggle and I remember grabbing his head and hitting it against the wall. I didn't realize there were two of them until I was stabbed. Beyond that, I don't really remember what happened."
Howell kept the elation from his face as he asked, "You were stabbed? Where were you stabbed"
"My left shoulder."
"Would you mind if we take a look at that?"
"Of course." Noah stood and took off his coat. He unbuttoned his shirt awkwardly and turned to show them the livid mark on his shoulder.
Howell inspected it attentively.
A glancing blow but it looks as though there was a lot of force behind it.
"Did you move out of the way or something?"
"Honestly, I don't remember."
Howell studied the healing wound, noting the way the cut angled down slightly.
"It looks like you narrowly avoided a more serious injury. Did you seek medical attention?"
Noah shook his head. "I must have, but I don't remember."
"You don't remember?"
"I think I was in shock."
"What time did this occur?"
"Mid morning, I think? The last time I checked it was about ten thirty. That was just before I walked down to the docks."
"Where were you before then?"
"Kelly's coffee shop."
"Why were you in town that day?"
"I was grocery shopping."
"And what time did you leave home?"
"About ten,"
"Where did you park?"
"Robinson's car park."
"Why did you go down Fisher street?"
"I wanted to sit by the sea."
"Yes of course, you mentioned that. Why did you want to sit by the sea?"
"I just wanted to think. Sometimes the sound of the waves helps me concentrate."
"Was there something in particular on your mind?"
"It was work related. Nothing relevant to what happened."
"I see. Did you recognise either of your attackers?"
"No."
"Do you frequently visit the docks?"
"Not often, just when I need to clear my head."
"You don't frequent the establishments in that area?"
Noah gave him an icy look, "No."
"I'm sorry, I have to ask. Can you remember what the first man looked like?"
Noah sighed, "About mid fifties. Dark gray hair. Quite red in the face. He was wearing jeans and a brown leather jacket. He smelled like alcohol."
"And the other man?"
Noah shook his head, "I don't think I got a good look at him."
"Ok, Dr Courentin. What is the first thing you do remember after the incident?"
"Waking up at home later that evening."
"And then you went to get your wound treated?"
"I must have done it before I got home because it was already stitched."
Howell leaned back in his chair and pressed the end of his pen to his lips, turning Noah's statement over in his mind.
"Here's what I don't get, and I hope you can help me understand. If you have been robbed and stabbed, why didn't you report it?"
"I didn't know what happened. My memory of the incident isn't clear and it keeps coming back in flashes. I was worried that I may have killed someone, I know I lost my temper... and my work is important." He caught the skeptical look on the detective's face and hastened to add, "I'm not saying that to sound important, I work in medical research and I didn't want to leave my colleagues without support or make their work harder by causing a public scandal."
"Yes, I think everyone in Wisterlea is aware of your achievements. Can I ask Dr Courentin, have you ever used class A drugs?"
"No."
"Do you know anyone who uses, has used or sold class A drugs?"
"No comment."
"Do you know anyone who currently uses or supplies class A drugs?"
"No."
"Was there anyone else in the alleyway when you were attacked."
"I don't think so."
"Are you sure?"
"I don't know, I only remember one man."
"Do you own any weapons?"
"No."
Detective Howell rattled off a few more questions which Noah diligently answered.
Eventually he folded his arms and leaned forward on the desk.
"Dr Courentin, may I ask what made you decide to come in?"
"As I said, I don't know what I did. I know I was behind Siren, I know I defended myself and I know I was stabbed. I am willing to cooperate with the police to find out."
"You understand the severity of the charges you are admitting to?"
"Yes."
"I don't want to place you under arrest at this time, since you are here willingly and until we investigate this further we cannot draw conclusions about what actually happened. I am asking you if you will voluntarily submit a DNA sample and fingerprints?"
"May I have a moment with my client?" Interjected the solicitor.
Noah shook his head. "It's all right. I'm willing to submit evidence. If I did something, I want to know."
"You understand this could lead to a serious conviction?" warned the solicitor.
"Yes, but if I'm capable of harming someone without realizing it, then I'd rather be locked up."
Yates looked at Howell questioningly. Howell indicated that they should step outside.
"We'll be back shortly, do you want to take a break?"
"I'm ok," replied Noah. The solicitor shook his head.
Howell and Yates did not speak until they reached the end of the corridor.
"What do you think?" Howell asked.
"I don't know. He doesn't seem the type to kill anyone."
"True, but all men are capable of murder when their lives are at stake."
Yates shook his head. "Something seems off."
Howell nodded, "I agree, I think he's hiding something, but we can't go on his statement alone. As soon as we get his fingerprints I want you to run and check them against the ones we found on the knife. We need more than a confession to charge him."
Yates nodded.

Noah was compliant as they took his fingerprints and swabbed his cheek. He consented to photographs of his shoulder and dutifully answered all questions. As soon as the evidence had been collected Yates rushed back to the office and scanned the fingerprints.
He returned with a grim expression on his face.
"Can you excuse us gentlemen." Howell apologized and left the room with his colleague.
"Well?"
Yates shook his head, "Not even close."
"Fuck!" spat Howell, his face turning red in frustration.
"So that means we have a fourth suspect."
"Yes, thankyou," growled Howell furiously.
"So... what do we do?"
Howell considered this. Noah's statement was unreliable at best; their only other witness had refused to answer questions, let alone press charges and until the DNA evidence could be analyzed there was nothing else to tie Dr Courentin to the scene.
"We have to let him go." He muttered angrily.
Yates grimaced. Howell sighed and ran his hand over his hair. He turned and went back into the room emitting a frosty aura. Yates followed behind him. Both men took their seats with with business like composure.
"Well, Dr Courentin. Thank you for cooperating with us today, you have been very helpful."
Noah looked at him quizzically, "Don't you want to arrest me?"
"At this time no. We are releasing you under investigation."
Noah frowned in irritation, "but I confessed to GBH? Shouldn't I be charged?"
"We will review the evidence and your statement. Until then you will not be detained, however we may wish to call you in for further questioning, so please be available for this." He gave Noah a meaningful stare which plainly implied Don't skip town.
"I understand." said Noah, looking as frustrated as Detective Howell.
"I will ask you one last question. Are you certain you did not see anyone else during the attack?"
Noah held his gaze as he answered, "I have told you everything I can."
"Very well. My colleague will escort you to the reception."