Bad News

“I just think you should stay a little longer. Is there really a rush to get back?” Pleaded Cat. She sat beside Alex on the bed, concern pinching her brow. Alex sighed and concluded she must look dreadful: she felt dreadful, she had barely slept since the attack, she jumped at every phone call or knock at the door, guilt and anxiety made her feel constantly queasy, so she ate very little. It was hardly surprising Cat was so vehement for her to stay where she could keep an eye on her.

“I'm fine honestly. I need to get back for work. Besides, you and Arthur should have some alone time to settle in. You don't need me hanging around.” She tried to reply cheerfully but her voice sounded flat and exhausted, even to her own ears. Cat’s expression grew stern and she folded her arms stubbornly. 

“There will be plenty of time for all that. And you have your laptop. You can just work here. Look, I insist. I'm not letting you drive back in that state and I don't think you should be up there all alone. You have barely been taking care of yourself! I'll lock you in this room if I have to.”

Alex slumped over her knees and hugged them, too exhausted to argue with her sister so she nodded her head reluctantly. 

“Good! And I'm taking you to see a doctor tomorrow. It's not normal to get ill this frequently... You would tell me if something was wrong, Alex?”

“Of course,” she lied softly. 

Cat scrutinized her sharply and sighed.

“You don't have to be the big sister all the time. It's ok to rely on me, I want you to come to me if you need help.”

“I know, I just don't want to burden you.”

“You aren't a burden. Just stay till the end of the month at least and see how you are. I could use your help organizing a Halloween party for Arthur's birthday. It will be more fun between the two of us.”

Alex desperately wanted to get as far away from Wisterlea as possible, but as she looked up at her sister's hopeful face she caved. She knew there was no way she could refuse her.

“Ok.”

“Yay! Why don't you come down and we can take a walk after lunch. You've barely left the room for three days. Some fresh air will do you good.”

“Ok… just give me a moment.”

“Ok, but if you aren't down stairs in fifteen minutes I'm coming back to drag you down.”

Alex got up and changed out of her pajamas into a long dress and sweater. Her head swam as she descended the stairs and she gripped onto the bannister to steady herself. As she entered the living room she saw her mother and Arthur were both sitting, watching television.

Mariana looked up from her knitting and smiled warmly at her daughter.

“How are you feeling poppet?” She asked soothingly. 

“I'm alright, honest.” she answered. 

“You're too stoic for your own good.”

Mariana patted the couch next to her and Alex sat down obediently. Her mother pulled her into a one armed embrace before picking her knitting back up.

Arthur looked up from his paper at her and gave her a sympathetic smile.

“Good to see you up and about at least.” 

“I'm sorry, I haven't been the most entertaining guest,”

“Don't sweat it.”

“What are we watching?” asked Alex.