26. Meeting The Family

The drive to my family home had been a tense one. Sean's grip on the steering wheel was near lethal. I'd tried to make conversation but Sean seemed to be lost in thought, stuck inside of his mind, and I knew that was a dangerous place for him to be sometimes.

We pull into the driveway and Sean is already eyeing the fancy cars, eyeing the house I grew up in. I know what it screams— money.

"You never told me that you're from... that you grew up... here. I mean, when you told me the address I made the assumption but you've never acted like..." He just leaves the sentence hanging but I know what he wants to say; rich and entitled. Because that's how a lot of the people around here act.

"Sean, we don't have to do this," I say when I notice the sheen of sweat on his forehead, the pallor of his skin. "Really, you look like you're going to throw up."

"No, I'm fine."

No he's not. I know he's not.

"Seriously," I worry the hem of my skirt, "if you're not ready we can just go home. I can just call them and cancel."

He turns his head, giving me an irritated glare with, "we are parked in front of the fucking house, Monica. We can't just drive away now." Even though that's exactly what he looks like he wants to do as he glances back at the house. He swallows uncomfortably.

I should've told him where I grew up. I should've given him some type of warning. I should've...

"Sean, let's just forget it." Because I can see it in his eyes, in his features, the panic there.

"Just give me a minute," he quips, reaching in front of me to open his glove compartment. When he snatches out a pint of whiskey I automatically frown.

"You've got to be kidding me." He unscrews the cap and begins chugging it. "Really?" There's no response as he drinks half, takes a deep breath and then finishes the rest. I'm shaking my head the entire time because he hasn't drank like that in over a month.

He hops out of the truck and comes over to my side before opening the door and helping me out. I take his hand in mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Sean just follows my lead up to the doorway, looking a nervous wreck the entire time. He keeps eyeing the street and if I didn't know any better he either thinks someone is following us or he wants to make a run for it. It's most likely the latter.

"Jesus, Sean." I let out a sigh and grab his hand to get his attention. "For Christ's sake, breathe."

"It's fine. I'm fine." He blows out a deep breath. "Just... uh... fuck. Let's fucking get this over with."

"Not so many fucks. Dad doesn't like swearing." And with the mouth on my man I don't know how he's going to make it through a dinner without letting one fuck slide.

I ring the doorbell and not even two seconds later it whips open. My father greets me with a smile, "Monica Bear!"

"Daddy!" I can't help but launch myself into his arms, giving him a giant hug.

"So, this is the man making my daughter so happy?"

Sean doesn't say anything, he just smirks the smirkiest smirk that has ever been smirked before coughing into his fist.

You little arrogant shit.

"Yes, Daddy, this is Sean. Sean McCaslin." That had the effect I wanted it to, wiping the smirk right off his face.

Daddy. It's Sean's kryptonite.

"Sean McCaslin," my father tests the name. "It's a solid name."