3. Talks On Phones & In Hallways

I tuck the long waves of my hair behind my ears. I put on a bit of lipstick and a some mascara, nothing too over the top. I didn't see the point of getting overly done-up for work. Some of the girls told me it would help bring in more tips but I doubt that had anything to do with it. My waitressing skills were just bad. I'm quite positive the only reason I still have the job is because my boss likes to stare at my ass. Well, he enjoys staring at my tits and my ass but that's nothing new to me. He just does it more blatantly than most men do.

I hear my small Motorola flip phone buzzing off to my right and don't need to check it to know who it is. I know it's my father. He's been calling me non-stop ever since he found out where I've been living for the past few months. He'd driven into the city after he'd found out my forwarding address. He wasn't pleased at all when he'd seen the shoddy brick building. Thankfully I'd been at work when he'd apparently tried knocking on my door.

With a sigh I pick up the device when it begins going off again. "Hello?"

"Monica, I have tried calling you several times over the course of a week and you haven't picked up once." I begin to speak but he talks right over me. "I don't understand why you're choosing to live in a place like that. That is probably one of the worst areas of the city you could live in. Are you crazy? Do you want to get hurt?"

"Dad, I'm fine. I like this place." I don't but if I say that he'll probably drive over here right now and make me pack my bags. "I can't talk right now, Dad. I've got to head to work."

"You don't have to work, Monica. You know that." His words make me sigh and feel like a spoiled brat. "Where are you working?"

"I'm waitressing." He scoffs at that. His golden girl is now a waitress. I was the daughter he was once so proud of. I had been majoring in business with perfect grades. The beautiful and smart Monica, his perfect little girl. That girl dropped out of school and is now a waitress in South Boston.

"I can't believe you're waitressing." He pauses for a moment and I know it's to collect himself. He's mad but he never gets mad at me. I'm typically not the reckless daughter. No, that title belonged to my younger sister Jennifer. "At least tell me it's somewhere nice."

"It is." It's not. "It's a cute little Italian place and my boss is really great." It's actually a dump ran by a complete pervert who yells at me in Italian. It's the same difference, right?

"Well, you should tell them how well you cook. I miss your cooking." I'd learned how to from my mother. My mother is now dead. "I miss her a lot, you know. I miss you too. I want you to come home. I don't want to lose you too." That last part makes tears come to my eyes.

"You won't lose me. I'm just trying to figure out life on my own right now." For once just trying to do things on my own. I'm tired of being so dependent on my family. I'm tired of them being too dependent on me now that mom is gone. I can't fix their grief. I can't even get a handle on mine. "I have to go."

"Just tell me you're alright. Tell me if I need to send you money. I can pay for your rent." I shake my head because he's not grasping the fact of why I'm gone.

"Dad, it's fine. I'm fine. Don't worry, seriously. I have the rent for this month."

"I can pay it, Monica. I don't mind," he interrupts.

"No, no. I said I'm fine. Just take care of yourself okay?" I plead with him hoping this will be the end of the conversation.

"Fine, Monica." He lets out an exasperated breath. "Call me if you need anything."

"Yeah, sure. I definitely will." I wont. "Talk to you later. I love you."

"Love you too."

"Bye." I hang up the phone without giving him a chance to say anything else. I grab my purse off the counter and head out the door. Thanks to the phone call I'm probably going to be late for my shift again. Sean is standing there, staring at my door just as I exit. "Oh hey, Sean." I give him a smile when he doesn't say anything back at first. He's just looking me over and something about the way he's doing it makes my cheeks flush.

"Hey." He finally said. I look down and realize why it probably took him a moment. There's a giant bottle of whiskey in his hand.

"All alone this evening?" He might be right now but I can assure he wouldn't be for the entire night. Sean usually had someone with him. That someone was typically moaning and calling out God's name over and over too.

"Uh yup." He nods and then looks me over hungrily. He's like a wolf and I feel like prey under his stare. I think about the way those girls moan for him, how I'd like to moan for him. I can feel my breathing begin to quicken and butterflies begin to build in my stomach.

"Well, I'm off. I'll see you later, Sean." I make my feet move down the hallway, away from the gorgeous man standing in it. Because if I'd stood there for any longer I'd be the one going into that apartment with him. I couldn't be one of those girls. I refuse to be.

Once I'm outside I run to my car. My talk with Sean in the hallway had added to my lateness. Once the engine starts I speed off down the street. I eventually find parking and realize I'm forty minutes late for my shift. This is the third shift I've been late for in two weeks. I'm screwed. I know it.

"Boss wants to see you in the back." Aiden says the moment I walk through the door. 

Great. I hurriedly make my way through the restaurant until I reach his office door. The moment I open it he looks up at me angrily and says, "you're fired, Monica."

"But sir I can-"

"No, you're done." I feel the tears prick my eyes as I nod my head in response.

"Okay." I turn around and exit the office. I'm fucked. I'm so fucked.

A/N:
Don't forget to add this book to your library for updates!