Chapter 3 - Out of Control

My definition of a "good start to a work day" was waking up right when the alarm went off without feeling so tired or wishing I could go back to sleep, driving from the apartment building to work without getting stuck in traffic, and not having to wait in a long line for the cafe on the ground floor of the office building.

And not having to see a certain someone as the first person of the day.

"Good morning." a low, slightly raspy voice greeted me that I didn't want to hear as I entered the company building. King, in a light blue shirt and dark gray pants, was taking long strides behind me.

I grunted in frustration and tried to quicken my steps.

There are so many people here, why did I have to meet him first this morning? My luck must have run out already today.

"Why are you walking so fast? Are you avoiding me?"

Since King had longer legs than mine, he was eventually able to catch up to me. His sharp eyes shone with joy as I walked straight to the elevators, where other employees were also waiting in line. I glanced at the elevator floor display above the doors showing the floor number changing, not paying attention to the person next to me.

"You're not answering me. What a heart of ice."

"Shut up. What are you babbling about so early?" I muttered and stared at him in annoyance.

"Just saying hello to a friend as usual." King continued, ignoring what I said. He raised his elbow and placed it on my shoulder, then lowered his head, speaking in a low voice: "We have already shared an experience until late at night. How can you expect me not to say hello to a friend like you?"

His voice sounded so devious that it wasn't trustworthy. I turned to him and asked him coldly, "What experience are you talking about?"

"The experience we had together when there was a blackout while we were working overtime last week." He raised an eyebrow as he looked at me. "Why? What were you thinking?"

"Nothing!"

"Really?"

When he saw that I was glaring at him, he smiled and lowered his head further towards me. His sharp eyes were full of joy, and he said softly: "What are you thinking, Mr. Anon? Or do you want to have another kind of experience with me?"

"It's been bad enough as it is. Don't make me have any more experiences with you." I replied without any attempt to take his feelings into account and moved away from him to free my shoulder from his heavy elbow.

"Oh, Uea. You're so damn mean." he pretended to be hurt, but I didn't care because, to me, King was just my best friend's friend, and my best friend's friend wasn't supposed to be my friend. He and I only worked at the same company where we rarely collaborated, and I wanted nothing to do with him any more than I already did.

Speaking fairly and putting aside his flirtatious habits, I could see that King was a pretty okay person. He had taken serious responsibility for his work without failing in any of his tasks, he was generous and always helped others. However, I didn't want to be friends with the person who got on my nerves all day.

He was unpleasant by choice.

"Hey, about that night..."

"Umm..." said a soft voice from behind.

I turned to see a beautiful young lady in a professional looking blouse and soft colored skirt. Her pale cheeks were flushed with pink blush that I thought she had applied too heavily and resulted in too intense a color.