Chapter 13 - Instinct

The night of my twenty-seventh birthday had passed in a different way than that of any other year. I didn't know when I fell asleep, but I opened my eyes again when I heard the alarm from my phone that I had set. It took me a while to realize that I wasn't sleeping in my bedroom and that there wasn't an empty space next to me. The warmth of the thick arm that rested on my bare waist was good proof that what had happened the day before was real.

The tall body of the owner of the room lay behind my back and held me by the waist. Almost every part of our bodies were pressed together. King's breathing still had a steady rhythm even though I had started to move. He was a heavy sleeper, even with an alarm clock next to his ears, I wasn't sure he would wake up to turn it off.

In reality, I should have gotten up quickly and gotten into the shower to get ready for work, but instead I was lying still, constantly listening to King's breathing. The sound of his breathing had strangely calmed my mind that was bothered by what had happened the previous day, but in a way it had also shaken my heart. I felt that King had started to have more and more influence on me.

Even though I had come to him in the heat of the moment that made me feel like I didn't want to be alone, it was still surprising that I would think of King in such a situation. I had come to understand why so many people were fascinated by him: because he knew how to put the person he was with at ease, he had shown his care towards me by asking me how I was, and once he saw that I wasn't comfortable enough to share my problem, he had not urged me to share, but had chosen to console me without words, taking care of me. Or at least, that's how I felt.

Having too many feelings wouldn't have helped the relationship between King and me.

What I felt for him had to be limited only to sexual pleasure. I shouldn't have looked at him as someone I could count on or someone who could comfort me like I had the night before. My instincts warned me to hurry out of that relationship and return to my normal life as quickly as possible, just as I originally intended to do, but now I really didn't want to do.

I felt good when he hugged me. I felt relaxed when I was around him. My life was too stressful, so I still couldn't bear to lose what was almost my mental refuge.

Even if this relationship is dangerous, if I know about it and am aware of it, there shouldn't be any problem, right?

"Is it morning already?" The low, husky voice whispered next to my ear, distracting me from my thoughts. His warm lips were lightly pressed to the back of my neck.

I turned half my body to look at King who was still half asleep and removed his hand from my waist.

"Yes, it's already morning, but you can sleep a little longer. After I'm done with the shower, I'll wake you up."

"No, I'm awake now. Let's take a shower together to save time."

The eyes that had been clouded by drowsiness shone brightly with hidden intent, but when he saw me glaring at him, he laughed lightly and raised his hands to declare his surrender.

"Okay okay. You go ahead and take a shower." King held out his hand toward the bathroom.

I got out of bed, went straight to the closet for a towel, walked into the bathroom, and slammed the door harder than normal.

Showering together to save time? Um! We will end up wasting more time.

If I had agreed, the shower we would have taken would have been one with another type of water, not running water.

I won't be late for work so they can deduct my salary again like last month!

Thanks to my determination not to give in to King's words yet, since the traffic was really terrible today, even though I left the apartment faster than usual, I still arrived at the office a little later than usual. When I arrived, there were only a few people, the others were probably affected by the traffic congestion, including the owner of the desk next to mine.