Chapter 7 - Terms and Conditions (M)

All my life, I, Mr. Anon Nanthaphiwat, believed that this was the day I would feel the least like myself.

I sat on my bed, staring out the window. I didn't know if my brain had stopped working out of the blue or what, so I had said such a strange thing while I was in King's car.

"Want to give a try?"

When I thought back to what I had said and to the listener's eyes that I couldn't understand, I could only sigh in frustration. I had always made it clear that I didn't like King at all, and then, out of the blue, I asked him to be my friend with benefits. If he hadn't been surprised, he would have been strange, even I was shocked at myself.

I thought I was losing my mind. No, having said something like that meant I had already lost it.

The sound of a notification made me look at my phone next to me. The screen displayed a pop-up alert of a message from the person I had only split up with less than half an hour earlier.

King: What are you doing? Can we talk?

I stared at that message hesitantly before deciding not to open it.

I lay down on the bed, frowning. What I had said to King was truly sudden madness. I just wanted to have a boyfriend to love and who at the same time loved me sincerely, but since that had never happened, it was inevitable to have strange thoughts every now and then.

I should have apologized to him because I had suddenly shocked him. I should have told him I was only joking. I should have done it, but part of me was hesitant.

Since I had been hurt so much from all the past relationships I was too tired to continue. I should have taken a break, and while I was doing it, it wouldn't have been bad if I had someone to ease my loneliness.

King was a good choice for that purpose.

We had worked in the same place for a long time, so there was no need to get acquainted. As for sex, I had to admit that I was satisfied with his sexual performance, and his attitude wasn't too bad for me to accept. Even though I didn't like that he was a playboy and flirtatious with just about everyone, I didn't have to worry about these inconveniences since I wasn't planning on having him as a boyfriend.

As long as King didn't steal someone else's girlfriend, or have a girlfriend and cheat on her, until he did something as terrible as my father had done by cheating on my mother, or as my exes had cheated on me, I thought I could find it acceptable.

The incoming message notification sounded again as if it was searching for a response. This made me sigh deeply because I hadn't come to a conclusion. So, I decided to turn off my phone, put it on the nightstand, and slide under the thick blanket while I closed my eyes.

King must have wanted to talk about it, but I didn't have an answer for him yet.

Because I wasn't sure of myself yet.

*******

The weekend had gone by so quickly it was frustrating. On Monday morning I was bored and standing in a crowded skytrain car. I had a car, so I wasn't used to squeezing into a huge crowd like that every day, but there was nothing I could do except wait until the following Saturday when I could get my car back from the mechanic at the scheduled appointment. .

Some people on the skytrain were looking at me. I had never liked being looked at by other people, so it seemed ironic that people were always looking at me. I checked my phone, trying to find something to look at to ease the embarrassment, but as soon as I saw the number of unread messages on the app icon, I instantly froze.