Chapter 14 - Trap

[King's POV]

"Cats are paranoid animals."

This was what a friend of mine who was madly in love with cats once told me. It was part of cats' natural instincts, which included their independence, arrogance, and the way they liked to behave superior to their human owners, as well as their need for care and attention. All of this had made me wonder why anyone would want to get one or why he would be interested in a creature with such characteristics, until I met someone who had exactly those cat-like characteristics.

And that someone was watching me as I boarded a double-decker bus and sat next to him with such an attentive gaze.

It was exactly like a cat.

"What are you looking at?" I asked the person who didn't seem as happy about going to the beach as the other colleagues. Uea pursed his lips tightly and looked away from me to look out the window without saying anything.

I laughed in my throat as I pushed him to look at the row next to us where Mai was ripping open a bag of snacks for Jade.

"I have to sit here. Those two are a couple now, so they should sit together, right? Do you want me to be evil enough to separate them?"

"I didn't say anything." he replied flatly, but his thin eyebrows, which were tied together, might have confirmed his thought, that he didn't want me to sit with him at all. Uea was as usual worried that others would suspect our special relationship while I didn't care much about what others might think.

"Why are you so stressed about seating arrangements? We'll sleep together tonight anyway." I whispered softly.

What I had just said made those round eyes fierce. He seemed paranoid about having to be in the same room as me that night. He might have thought I was planning on doing things. In fact, I wasn't thinking about anything. Well, actually, I was thinking a little, but that wasn't my main goal. I didn't want to interrupt the couple. I wanted Mai to be totally able to spend time with Jade.

Probably even if I had told him the truth, Uea wouldn't have believed me. My image of him was probably that of a flirtatious, carefree guy who was addicted to sex and constantly changed sexual partners. As for Uea, in my opinion, he reminded me of a beautiful white cat who seemed arrogant, seemed unapproachable and didn't like his owner touching him.

It seemed that way from the first day we met.

*********

The tall, slim build with a slim waist, wide hips that were well hidden in tight black pants and bright white skin was so beautiful that if we had passed each other on the street, I would have turned to look at him.

He sat with his legs crossed, letting the liquor run down his throat as if he were drinking water, not paying attention to anything around him. He was immersed in his world of him alone in the midst of the music that was playing throughout the disco.

That was the image I remembered from the day I met Uea for the first time, when I was a second year at university and by chance I ran into my best friend's friend at a nightclub. I didn't know who Uea was then, but one thing was for sure: I couldn't help but look at him because he was totally my fucking type.

That day, I was at the club with a person I was dating and whose name I no longer remembered. I felt it was a total mistake not to have chosen to go alone and so I hadn't had the chance to clink my glass against him. I thought I was quite handsome that day, but Uea didn't seem to think so because when I met him in front of the bathroom, his round eyes stared at me as if he wanted to kill me.