~Chapter 23~

The war had finally begun. 

The warriors attacked Muzans's base. Hoards of demons were sent at them, but they fought off all of them with valour, not breaking a sweat. But Giyu sensed that something was off about the place. 

Where were the main demons? Giyu recalled that creepy blonde one, and Sanemi couldn't see the one that Tanjiro and he had fought. Their eyes met and it was like a jolt ran down their spine. 

"EVERYONE! RETREAT!" Giyu yelled as loud as he could, and the demon slayers gathered. 

"Split up. Sanemi, you lead the west. Rengoku-san, you lead the north. Mitsuri-san, you lead the east. I'll lead south. Nezuko and Tanjiro, you find Muzan Kibutsuji. We will join you later."

"Wait, what is happening? And why do we split up? And why the four of them?" Uzui spat. "Why can't I lead?"

"Tengen-san, in all due respect, they are the strongest," Shinobu said, shooting and angry gaze at Uzui, who stayed silent after that. 

"We will inform you the exact location after we locate him. You can count on us," Tanjiro said, and Nezuko nodded. 

"Not all of us will be alive at dawn. I just wanted to say, thank you for doing this." Giyu said to his entire crew. They looked at him with determination. 

"Keep my fiancé safe, Giyu," Sanemi whispered with desperation in his eyes,"I will not live if she's dead. Please. This may be my final wish."

"I will." Sanemi looked at Giyu gratefully. 

"Thank you."

They split up. 

"First, we will target the Insect kingdom, Beast Kingdom and Water kingdom," Giyu said to his squad, who consisted of Kanae, Shinobu, Tsutako, Kanao and Inosuke. They ran at top speed to the Insect kingdom. 

When they reached, they saw the usually elegant Kingdom in shadows. The usual happy feel was replaced by uncertainty and fear. Two figures emerged from the dark. Giyu's heart dropped to the pit of his stomach.

"Should we destroy the three kingdoms in front of their eyes, Akaza-dono?"

"Don't tell me what to do, you brat."