~Chapter 26~

Tsutako died. Rengoku died. Mitsuri and Tengen lost an arm each. Kanao lost vision in an eye. Tanjiro and Nezuko both got scars on their face, arms, chest, feet and neck. Shinobu damaged her lungs. Giyu lost a lot of blood from a wound in his chest. Everyone was in horrible conditions. 

But they won. No citizen was dead, or even slightly harmed. The citizens were well protected by the borders of the kingdom, which had not been damaged because the warriors had managed to keep them distracted.

A few months passed, and everyone learnt how to live with the pain. Giyu had lost his sister and his best friend. Only if she had told him that it was her plan all along. 

Shinobu felt like Tsutako's death was her fault. Her sister would have been able to see if she had been stronger. If she had sacrificed herself instead, it would be better. But there was an unexplainable expression on her face. Something like she knew that she would not live long, and satisfaction that she had protected her fellow comrades. Shinobu didn't leave her room until Kanae dragged her out of her room to attend a ball. She purposely chose an open-back, sleeveless dress.

When they reached the Sun Kingdom, King Tanaka gave them a bittersweet smile, greeting them personally. "Thank you for your service."

They nodded. They entered the ballroom, and all eyes were on Shinobu. The noble ladies gossiped about the scars on her back and arms. But Giyu went up to her and extended an arm. 

"You look beautiful."

"Why, thank you," She took his arm and the music started. 

"This is too noisy. Do you wanna go to the balcony?" Giyu asked politely. 

"Sure."

They made their way to the balcony, where the moonlight draped over the sky like a beautiful cloth made of stardust, as the two stared into each other's eyes.

"Thanks for calling to me that day. I would have been killed," Shinobu leaned on the balcony and chuckled softly.

"Don't worry. Also, Shinobu, I need to tell you something."

"Yea?"

"You have been special to me since the day I rescued you. You worked hard with all of us. THank you for staying strong with me, through all this. I know this may be sudden, but I love y-"

She pulled him into a hug. It was a long, beautiful hug under the stars. When they parted, he smiled. 

"Oh, you, thanks for sticking  with me through this. I love you too," She smiled, and Giyu wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer, and she slung her arms around his neck. They were so close their noses touched. 

He twirled her under the moonlight, and she fell in a dip. 

"I love you."

"I love you too, darling."

They kissed. That night, they were alone, but together. That was how it was supposed to be. Perfect. 

Tonight was the best night of their lives. 

Thanks for sticking till the end.