Chapter 8

"Why do you call it town?" Ask Derek.

"In England the centre of a city is often referenced to as town. You would say I'm going to town so I can go to that pub near Mickie dees."

"I have a lot to learn."

"Yes you do but for now let's update your family on everything."

They call all of Derek's immediate family and tell them the news about Peter.

"What are you sure Derek?"

"Mom I'm sure."

Elena Hale paces back and forth not wanting to believe what she was hearing. "I don't understand why my brother behaves the ways he does. I believe you and I'll get the police to look over our place now."

After getting off the phone with his family Derek smiles sadly at Stiles. "Let's go to the diner and you can try the best cheeseburger you have ever had."

Staring into his eyes she smiles a genuinely warm smile, "I would like that."

They arrive at the diner to see for a Monday morning it was very busy, "Table for two? Ask a red headed woman.

"Yes please, oh Erica this is my wife Stiles."

"Oh this is the Stiles you're always talking about she's pretty. Is it true you're a doctor? She says very loudly.

Derek was taken back he knew he never spoke to her about Stiles before. Erica winks at him and he understood what she was doing.

"Yes this is her, we eloped at the weekend Vegas was calling our names. We spent too long apart anyway."

Several people turn their heads at Derek's words to see who his new bride was. Since he wasn't known to be dating anyone. The town liked gossip and the only gossip they knew about him was he had given his notice at his job.

She shows them to a booth and leave them with a menu. "I have known Erica my whole life. How is she one of yours?"

"Didn't she spent couple years in England?" Ask Stiles.

Derek sits back in his seat and surveys his new bride she was going to be a handful for sure.

"She is your cousin?" Ask Derek.

"I sent her back here two years ago when my brother..."

"I thought you said he died recently Stiles."

"He did I'm talking about him literally dying couple months ago. Two years ago he had an accident which took his joy with him. He spent his last two years in a wheelchair. The best chair money could buy and I helped him put personal touches on it. But he lost himself after the accident."

"I'm sorry so when he was hit by a driver he couldn't get himself out the car?"

"Something like that."

As Stiles speak he remembers hearing a story that seemed too far fetched to be true. "Anyway I'm having a burger and some pancakes what are you getting?"

Derek was shocked at the way she just switched her emotions off and carried on like normal. She clearly was still feeling the lost of her brother he could see it on her face, in her eyes. He saw the silent plea she gave him to drop it. He figured for now he would and tell her about the story another time. "I normally get chicken and waffles.

"Wait what for breakfasts! You have breakfast and dinner items together that's crazy. Do you put syrup or jam on the waffles?"

"Syrup."

"Americans food combinations are very strange." She sees a middle age woman staring at her behind Derek's head. "Don't make it too obvious but that woman behind you keep staring at me."

"Oh that's widow Robert she is ten years older than me and has been trying to chat me up for years. I have never dated her but couple years back. I dated someone and she told her we were together. The woman broke off the relationship thinking she was a home wrecker."

"That is so, I mean you're a good looking man and I can see all the woman in here looking at me with envy."

"She was wrong for what she did."

"Oh I know her old behind was wrong. That doesn't change the fact you're a good looking man."  Stiles kisses him then gives the widow a smirk.  That's right look at what your trifling behind will never have.

"I didn't know you were into brown girls Derek. You have never dated one before. How come you married one?"

"No offence Wendy but I'm here for brunch with my beautiful wife and I would like to concentrate on her and her alone."

The widow looks irate at Derek's words, that's right thought Stiles learn your place.

Erica comes over to take their order, "I'll have the cheeseburger and some pancakes with orange juice. Hubby is having chicken and waffles."

"Great." Erica takes the menu from them and goes to place their order with the kitchen.

Derek leaves to use the bathroom and the widow smirks at Stiles. "You're pretty I mean you're very pretty and young. What are you ten, five years younger than him?"  Stiles doesn't answer her, "Enjoy him while you can sweetie because he will be mine eventually."

Normally she would throw the woman's milkshake over her head but Stiles was on her best behaviour. "Oh honey if your old behind could've gotten him. You wouldn't need to do the chasing he would've stand still and let you catch him."

"I'm paying for your meal."

Stiles turns at the sound of the voice and sees a pretty twenty something woman looking at the widow with hatred. "I'm Lydia I see you have met Wendy."

"Thank you but I can paid for my own meal," Stiles takes her black card out her wallet and Lydia's eyes go wide.

"No I insist."

"Thank you I accept your generous offer."

"Make sure to have a piece of apple pie as well. The diner makes the best one in town. It's like something a fifties housewives would make. You're in your fifties right Wendy?" Says Erica.

The woman angrily storms off and hurries back to leave some money on the table.

"I like you and that woman is no good she will try to steel your husband."

"The important word there is try Lydia."

"Who you have spunk we need to go for a drink sometime."

"I don't drink alcohol but yeah I would like that."

Derek comes back to the table, "Lydia it's nice to see you again. It's been a while how long were you away for this time?"

"A year."

"Away?" Ask a curious Stiles.