Chapter 14

"A big company like this needs PR I guess."

She takes him to the second floor, "The ground floor and the first floor are for the use of the butcher shop."  

She presses a buzzer but no one answers it. Next she tries to pull the door open but nothing happens. Derek looks at the name under the buzzer. It said F Securities and Co.

Erica presses a combination of numbers on the pad under the buzzer. Derek heads a click and sees her place her eye ball near the buzzer. The door opens and they walk down the long corridor. Erica shows him where everything was. When she shows him to his floor she makes to leave.

"I need you to show me which one is my office."

"When this elevator door opens your secretary will be waiting for you."

"Don't forget she doesn't know everything we truly do here."

"I got it."

She leaves and sure enough a woman was waiting for Derek when the elevator door opens.

"Good Morning sir."

"Good Morning Gina."

"You have a very busy morning ahead of you today."

Back in the states Stiles looks at her patient and smiles. "Yes it is hard to do a full days work here then go home to look after hubby."

"We were all surprised to hear Derek got married then when we met you we understood why he fell in love with you. It's just it's weird only Erica knew about you and Derek."

"That's not true Mrs Miller his parents knew we were eloping."

"Did they? I'm surprised at that they never said anything."

Stiles forces a smile towards the seventy-two year old woman. "Not everything is for the gossip machine."

The patient looks embarrassed, "I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable."

"Yet you did with a bright smile on your face."

The woman looks at Stiles with new found respect. "You will be good for him. He's so quiet and reserved he needs someone to shake up his world."

"Thanks I guess."

"He's not thriving in this small town at all. I'm not surprise he gave his notice at the police station. Unless someone dies or is found to be a bent cop he has no chance of promotion."

"I didn't know that."

"That station is run like the mafia how that boy survived it for ten years I'll never know."

"Really, do tell me every juicy little detail." Stiles takes a chair and pull it up to the bed.

In London Derek pours some soup from his thermos into a bowl. His first day wasn't getting to know the staff. Then seeing how things were done. It was meetings to hear reports of agents in the field. Going to the gadget floor to get his phone enhanced. Getting spy toys not even James Bond would know what to do with. He look over the file of the other head of state he would be meeting. His record seemed decent. He was a good man trying to make a real change to people's standard of living. He knew which side he would be on in a war. He rubs his temple and look around his office. Nothing about it screams someone important works here. Everything was high end he could tell that much. It needed to be redecorate he thought to himself.

"So Derek how was work?" Ask Stiles later.

"It was different and there's an actual butchers shop. When Gina told me I had a meeting with the manager there at one o'clock. I  thought she was joking."

"We have to keep up appearances Derek."

"Does the manager know the truth because I think he does. How else does he see my face. If a relative of mine comes into the shop they're going to start taking about me working at a security firm."

"As you suspect he does know. He is the first line of defence but only he knows in the shop. His job allows him to hear a lot of gossip and whispers. We have gotten some really good intel too from him."

"Erica works there."

"One day a week when she is in town she works there. Only a promotion or field work will end her time there."

"It sounds like a punishment to me."

"My brother was harsh with his punishments."

"I miss you Stiles."

"I miss you more I'm oddly looking forward  to going home and putting my feet up and I'm looking forward to our honeymoon. This place is depressing.  I understand now why you live away from everyone."

"It's not the big city so people don't have much to do except gossip and rob houses."

"That's very depressing."

He shrugs, "It's true thought."

"I want to join you in London for the weekend. But people keep bringing food to your house."

"Tell them to bring it to mums place instead and come and join me."

"I'll do that."

Stiles and Derek make their way to a private box at the opera house. "I have always wanted to see Don Quixote," exclaims Derek.

"I'm glad I can watch it with you darling."

"I can't way to see London through your eyes this weekend."

"Have you had fish and chips yet Derek?"

"Yeah it wasn't great."

"I'll take you to a great chippy tomorrow."

When the opera was over Derek and Stiles walk hand in hand through Covent Garden. "This is really nice I love London. I didn't expect to really like it. But it's grown on me." He stops talking and wraps her scarf around her neck since it had gotten colder.

"Thank you."

He takes his gloves and gives it to her, "I'm okay Der."

"I insist please take it."

She takes it, "I'm taking you to a semi decent fish shop."

She starts shivering, "Let's get a taxi and go home instead you're freezing."

"No need the car is following behind us."

They get in and Stiles orders a selection of her favourite food from a restaurant near to their home. When they get inside Derek ask Danvers to run a hot bath for Stiles.

"Very good sir."

He pulls her towards him, "You're still freezing cold. I'm no doctor but I think you're coming down with something." He feels her forehead she was burning up. "Forget the bath have a quick shower instead and get under the covers in bed. I'll ask Danvers to ask the restaurant to add soup to the order.

"This is just what the doctor ordered." Stiles takes a bite of her cottage pie. "Mmmm.. I'm sorry  Derek I came so we could spent some time together and got sick instead."