chapter 19

“I’ll go and check with my wife sir.”

He turns to leave, “I’m not a man who likes the people he trust to lie to him.”

Danvers turns around, “Noted sir.”

He leaves the room, “Then I probably should. Never mind I’m starving I hope the food is ready.”

“What were you going to say Stiles?”

“It doesn’t matter Derek I’ll tell you later.” She takes a vitamin tablet. “I can’t believe I got pregnant so fast. I expected it to take months.”

“It would seem we are both futile Mrs Hale. Oh crap your Job, has your boss called you yet?”

“I sent her a text to say I was out the hospital,” answers Stiles.

Maybe she is too busy to reply.”

“Well technically we are on our honeymoon for the next two weeks. That is probably why she hasn’t replied to my text. I have work and you have work and never the Twain shall meet. I know where you worked and I can’t take you to my job.”

“Stiles people know we are married.”

“Yes they do and will never see us in the newspapers together or at any functions.”

“I deleted my photo from that woman’s phone and the one she took of you while you were asleep. It took us a while to get into her iCloud. But we managed to get what we wanted off the phone and wipe it clean. Except for her contacts. People are going to be wondering why she hasn’t called only reply to their text messages.”

“And you wanted to see the phone numbers of the people desperate to get in touch with her.”

“Yep.”

“You were really wasted as a cop Derek.”

“I did a lot of good I can look back on my tenure and be proud of what I accomplished.”

“That’s all anyone wants out of life really isn’t it to be remembered for doing good.”

“Peter knows our secret not even I knew about him Derek.”

“The role of governor has secrets even from you it would seem.”

“I just hope he hasn’t bragged to his mates about us.”

“My uncle is shrew and he knows how to tow the line. The information on the plucky widow is surprising.”

“Even I thought she had ulterior motives for wanting to be around you so much.”

“I wonder why my folks chose that town.”

“Reading between the lines I’m sure it was suggested to them. I can ask my grandfather. He would know he was the governor around that time.”

“Your grandfather was smart because he did what he did I’m here. I need to find another male relative of mine to keep as my successor. In case we need a backup governor.”

“We have time and the person you chose needs to have Grant's blood.”

“That hospital was not being properly run and why not  take a second son and make him governor?”

“We can do that in the future especially since my younger brother and uncle will be permanently stationed in Italy and France.”

“Don’t you miss them?”

“We see each other all the time and it’s only a two hour plane ride to see them.”

“It’s good to know that. Let me call mum before I forget.”

He calls Elena and explains the misunderstanding about Peter. “Ok Derek, I’ll call him right after I hang up with you. How’s Stiles doing son?”

“I’m fine Elena I’m going to take it easy for the next week or so,” Stiles waves to her.

“I want you to look after the family for me and listen to Uncle Peter’s advise okay.”

“Are you sure about that Derek the evidence did point to him?”

“Evidence lies sometimes mum.”

“He’s always getting into trouble.”

“I know mum but he has never broken the law.”

“If you trust him I’ll trust him.”

Later Stiles bites into her third slice of pizza, “You were hungry Derek?”

“Yes I was.   I thought Peter had a hand in my brother’s death.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“My brother left a lot of clues pointing to your town.”

“You were hoping to catch a murder?” Ask Derek.

“Yes I was because Peter was in England when Jamie died,” replies Stiles.

“They must have met up and Peter was following him. I need to see the clues you had telling you to go to Ridges.”

“I need to speak to Peter and ask him about Jamie’s death.”

“I remember him going to Nebraska couple months ago. He came back looking devastated. Now I know the reason why he was mourning your brother's passing.”

“Yes he was.”

“I’m going to send him a text saying I need a full report about his trip. I can’t send him a text message like that someone in the family may read it. I’ll ask him for his burner phone number.”

“Derek you are the most powerful man on earth. Ask  Erica to text you the number. Always remember if they work for us we have every little detail about their lives.”

He text Erica and she sends him a text with two number.  He text his uncle a message then deletes it. “I’ll speak to Peter tomorrow. If it was me I would’ve more than one burner phone which he has. The problem is which number he has given the bad guys. And which number is he playing a fool on.”

“Your uncle is very clever it’s a shame his family must always pay a debt to my family. He would be very good in the field.”

“Not really Stiles he got sloppy and got caught breaking into my house.”

“The break in caused you to leave and move in with me. There could be a reason why he allowed himself to be caught

“I’ll know more tomorrow. Pass me a slice of that chicken sausage pizza will you. It taste so good."

Stiles grins at him, “You’re scaring me."

“It’s just that I pictured this scene in my mind so many times. To finally be here in bed with you talking shop like this is amazing.”

“Life is full of surprises isn’t it?”

“Yes it is a marriage and a baby in less than a month.”

“You forgot a pandemic."

“That reminds me I need to start buying baby formula.”

“It’s way too soon for that Stiles.