Chapter 21

Danvers comes into the room and Derek ends his phone call, "Does the name Blume mean anything to you Danvers?"

Derek watches as he coughs and looks down at the floor.

"You know something."

"Mrs Hales brother was good friend with someone named Blume."

"Describe hIm to me," says an excited Derek.

"Maybe 5'10, curly hair, light brown eyes and I believe he is biracial or black. Sometimes he looks darker when I see him."

"He has been to the house?"

"Not this one sir the other one and the country house."

"What did Blume do for a living do you know by chance?"

"The man is a chameleon but I know he and the late master were close."

"How close are we talking here?"

"He knew who Mrs Hale brother really was sir."

"I didn't know that." Looking very surprise Derek gestures for Danvers to take a seat. "Start from the very beginning the first day you met Blume."

Stiles stirs in her bedroom she places a hand across Derek's chest only to hit the empty side of his bed. She looks at the clock it was just gone seven. "Derek," she calls out. "Derek.

She hurriedly put on a dressing gown and brushes her teeth. After using the toilet and washing her hands. She run a finger through her hair. She walks downstairs to hear voices coming from the living room. She opens the door and sees Derek sipping a cup of tea and Danvers sitting on the opposite sofa.

"Good morning."

Derek gets up and give her a quick kiss, "Good morning Stiles."

Danvers stands and bows to her before leaving. "I just realise he always bows when he sees you."

"It's his job Derek."

"He doesn't bow to me darling."

Looking sheepish Stiles takes a seat next to him. "Did I interrupt something?"

"No you did not. Did you know your brother was good friends with Blume?"

"That's news to me I have never met the man before the hosptial incident."

"I take it you're feeling better?"

"Derek I'm out of the hospital of course I'm feeling better."

"I still need to ask yesterday was a day of revelations."

"Tell me about it." She says sarcastically.

"Blume knew who your brother really was."

Stiles look at Derek in shock.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Danvers confirmed it. He has been to all the houses in England your family owns except this one."

"That's odd but the fact he hasn't been to this house tells me he's someone high up in one of the other families. Either than or my brother was compromised. Only the heads of the five families know where each other's main homes are."

"Let's hope it's not the latter Stiles or we are in big trouble. Tell me about the man your brother tried to help. The one who betrayed his country."

She does and Derek sits there open mouth. "I need to go into the office what will you do for the rest of the day."

"Since I need to rest I'll be on teams with my people."

Danvers comes back into the room, "Breakfast is ready."

They follow Danvers into the dining room and Derek's phone goes off. He answers it, "Hello Erica. Say that again."

He looks at Danvers, I'll put your breakfast into a carry out container for you sir."

"I have to go darling someone is trying to fight my authority."

She gives him a quick kiss, "Go and Danvers will go with you."

"I'll see you later."

Derek adjust the collar of his shirt and look at his 3 piece black suit. In the car Danvers hands him a napkin as he eats his pancakes from a china plate. "I thought you were putting this in takeout plastic containers."

"Standards must never slip sir."

He eats his breakfast and wipes his mouth. "Since you're here you can run an errand for me. At noon I need you to walk into the café by the office and when you see this man. Order a large fry up with a side of coleslaw. I want you to observe the man's actions. He will follow you out the café find out what he wants."

"You know sir your wife may string me up for saying this but it's nice to have you back."

"I didn't go anywhere?"

"I misspoke sir."

Derek walks into his office to be greeted by Erica, "I'm sorry to call you to the office so early boss."

"It's not a problem tell me where we are up to."

"As I said on the phone we suspect one of the president has poisoned the other one."

"Suspect means nothing to me I want concrete evidence."

"I'll find it sir but it will take time and I don't think the president will make it."

"I see you have found some of my evidence."

Eric looks startled for a moment then collects herself. "You were wasted as a policeman."

"I did a lot of good."

"Let me rephrased my words, you were wasted in a post with no chance of promotion. I was shock you took the role to be honest."

"You were shock I choose to help people?"

"No I was shocked about your position sir."

"All that matters is that I did good."

"Of course sir."

"You work for me and not Stiles why?"

"I'm a Grant sir so discipline is not part of my remit."

"We are related?"

"Of course sir before I forget we have a meeting with the woman at noon."