part 20

“It’s never too early Derek.”

“Your brother Jamie was very smart there is another hospital for our people to use. Everyone will be moved from the one you were in by the end of next week the latest.

“That’s good to know Rawlings would’ve given the location away a long time ago,” agrees Stiles. “I’m curious how my doctor knew you were the boss.”

“I asked his name and checked he matched his picture.”

“Okay but no one there knows what you look like. Someone like him shouldn’t know or be able to guess your identity.”

“That is a very good point wife. The fact he knew who I was tells me he is higher up in the organisation that we thought.”

“Or he is an enemy,” finishes Stiles.

“He is on our side I can tell even if he shouldn’t know who I am.”

“Literally only the five families know who you really are Derek. The outside world has no reason to know your identity.  You technically don’t run my family’s butcher shops. You’re a low-key security employee for a security firm.”

“My goodness this job is full of secrets and lies.”

“It’s those secrets and lies that have kept our families safe.”

“Mr Blume recognised me before I told him who I was. I need to see where he goes with his promotion.”

“If he knows who you are then he must know the promotion isn’t all that it seems. Paul and his people have more authority in the new hospital than him.”

“Well Paul will be leaving at the end of the week. He has an assignment in Italy to take care of. How often do the five familiar meet up?”

“Not very often only once in the last ten years. We can’t be seen together, can you imagine the structure of the organisation being known. It will be bad for everyone since that idiot president told the secret when we tried to help him. We have been more careful.”

“It makes sense,” Derek suddenly sits up straight, “Blume said you are the new head of the organisation. It wasn’t a question it was a statement. Maybe he is a member of the five families.”

“The thought did cross my mind as well.” She takes a sip of her peppermint tea. “I sent a picture of him to mum, she will find out who he is.”

“He didn’t notice you taking a photo of him. What am I saying look who I’m talking to.”

Stiles grins, “Thank you for the complement husband.”

“You’re welcome wife.”

“If you think a lockdown is best I’ll support you one hundred percent.”

“I know for strangers we are surprisingly compatible.”

“I want another slice of pizza does that make me greedy?”

He shrugs, “If you’re hungry you’re hungry.”

The next day bright and early Derek leaves Stiles asleep as he gets ready for the day ahead. He walks into the living room and turns on the tv. The news was talking about the mysterious new flu that was going around. How the hell am I supposed to sort this out,"  He asks himself silently. He was a cop not a detective just a cop now here he was talking to heads of nations. Pretending to be a doctor, Dr Blume knows way more than he should. I need to look him up he thinks to himself.

He looks at his phone when it makes a noise for an email notification. “I have spoken to your parents. I’m food shopping for all of us. I don’t know what you said to your mother but she trusts me completely again. Thank you and I’m sorry for not telling you the truth. I’ll take care of your family to make up for my wrongs in the pass.”

Derek finishes reading the email and changes the tv channel. It too was talking about the flu. Danvers walks into the room with a tray.

“Good morning sir I thought you may like a cup of earl grey.”

“Thank you. I’m taking away three months wages from you for your withholding the truth from me.”

“Thank you sir I suspect your wife’s punishment will make yours look like a gift.”

“She is who she is I will never ask her to change that.”

“Very good sir

“Danvers I’ll take your wages little by little per month I’m not an unreasonable person.”

“Thank you sir.”

“I need you to do a food shop, get as many products as you can. We have guest rooms not being used. Toilet rolls can be placed there along with extra food.”

Danvers places the tray on the table and look at Derek, “The flu thing is bad isn’t it sir?”

“Very, I’m going into the office for a couple hours. I would like some soup and fresh bread for lunch. I’m in the mood for pancakes and fresh fruit for breakfast.

“My wife is already cooking it as we speak sir.”

“How does she know what I want to eat without me telling her?”

“You’re a creature of habit sir it’s Tuesday you always request the same thing on certain days.”

“I never realised that before that is not a good thing.”

“Actually sir having you be like that makes this family seem normal. I like normal.”

“Is the job getting to you Danvers?”

 'You misunderstood me sir I love my job. It’s just that I grew up in this house. I have a lot of happy memories. Your predecessor wasn’t a man who had fun. He would never order takeout and ask me and the wife what we wanted to order. He was a traditionalist you are different. This house is vastly different from what it was before.”

I take it he was all about the job?”

“Yes he was sir.”

“It’s a good job he was Great Britain is at peace because of him.”

“You make a good point sir.” 

“Never forget it.”

After finishing his tea he calls Peter who answers after two rings, “I’m impressed uncle isn’t it the middle of the night over there?”

“You're mobilising nephew, sleep can wait. I’m at your parents house along with everyone else. Tomorrow I’ll do another food run and will keep doing it till I can’t.”

“You will still be able to do a food run uncle I just don’t want anyone in my family to be in danger. People are selfish and I need my family safe and sound.”

“You mean you want me to be able to leave the house when you need me to. Without my sister needing to go to the grocery store.”

“Uncle you wound me but you’re correct.”