Chapter 12

Sarah

The next day, I decided to explore Vincent's mansion a bit. It is supposed to be my home now, too, after all.

I ran into a woman dusting the shelves, so that became my first stop.

"Hi!" I chirp.

The woman turns around and smiles. "Hello, Mrs. Sterling. I am Jennifer."

"Yuck, don't call me Mrs. Sterling. My name is Sarah. Keep that Satan Spawn's name off of me," I say and make a face.

Jennifer laughs. "Satan Spawn? Are you talking about Vincent? Oh, come on, he is not that bad."

"Not bad? Give me a break. I've been in this house for one day and a half, and I already want to throw myself out of the window. But enough about me. What do you do here, Jennifer?" I ask.

"A little bit of everything. I have been with the Sterling family for a long time, so Vincent's father sent me here to work after he decided to move out," Jennifer says.

"Ah, so are you like a Butler?" I ask.

Jennifer smiles. "Something like that. And now I am in charge of taking care of you. If you ever need anything, just call me."

I raise an eyebrow at the mention of Jennifer taking care of me. "Taking care of me? Am I a child?"

Jennifer chuckles. "Not a child, but I'm here to ensure your comfort in the house. If you need anything, whether it's related to the house or otherwise, feel free to let me know."

I nod. "Alright then, Jennifer. Just Sarah, not Mrs. Anything. And I won't hesitate to let you know if I need anything...or if I want to throw Vincent's expensive china out of the window."

Jennifer laughs again, clearly finding my directness amusing. "I'll be here, Sarah. If there's anything specific you'd like to know or explore in the house, feel free to ask."

I grin. "Oh, I plan to explore every nook and cranny of this mansion. Let's see what secrets it holds."

"Don't forget to check out the garden. I think you will love it. You are the woman of the house now, so if you want, we can plant your favorite flowers. Just let Jose know," Jennifer informs me.

"Jose?" I look at her questioningly.

"The gardener. You will find him tending to the flowers right about now."

"Alright, Jennifer, I'll make sure to say hi to Jose. Maybe I'll even consider planting something...interesting," I say with a mischievous glint in my eyes.

Jennifer chuckles. "Just don't create too much trouble, Sarah. The garden is a peaceful place."

We part ways, and I continue my exploration of the mansion. It's a beautiful house, but it feels more like a museum than a home. Every piece of furniture, every painting on the wall, seems to have a story, yet it also carries a sense of detachment.

Maybe I will change some things around here. Maybe fill it with ugly furniture to piss Vincent off?

I walk around, opening random doors, and then finally end up in front of a room at the end of the hall. I turn the doorknob and find it locked.

"Locked doors, my favorite," I mutter to myself. Vincent must keep secrets in there. I wonder what, though. Maybe his ex-wife's dead body?

Come to think of it, I never asked him if he had been married before. I don't know anything about this man!

I jiggle the handle some more, hoping it might be an easy lock to pick, but no luck. It seems more sophisticated than I anticipated. My interest only grows.