Chapter 28

Vincent

The sheer audacity of that girl was enough to make my blood boil. My body trembled with the effort to contain my rage as I fought against the instinct to physically lash out at her. God, I wanted to pick her up and throw her across the room!

I can't believe she bit my fucking lip. The searing pain ignited a primal fury within me, my vision turning red, but I held myself back.

Breathing deeply, I lean against the wall, my hand balled up into a fist. 

She is staring at me intently with a defiant look on her face, and for once, I don't see a hint of fear in her eyes. I won't lie and say that doesn't turn me on a little.

"You really don't know who you're messing with," I growl, my voice like grinding metal gears.

"Yes, I know. You are a tough guy and such a scary man. I am quaking," she says in a mocking tone.

Dammit...why isn't she scared of me?

My heart pounds in my chest as I stalk towards her, looming over her petite form. She doesn't flinch or cower as I expected. Despite my anger, I can't help but admire her courage. Adrenaline surges through me as our breaths mingle in the air between us. The scent of her fear? No, it's not there.

"You need to learn your place," I warn her, grabbing her chin firmly but not too hard.

"And where exactly is that? Under your thumb?" she fires back with a fiery glint in those big eyes that challenge me further.

"Apologize for biting me," I order.

I can feel my lower lip swelling. And it stings like a motherfucker.

She hesitates for a moment before speaking, those plump lips pursed together. Then, she shakes her head stubbornly and hisses, "No, you deserve it."

I grit my teeth and slam my hand on the wall behind her, making her flinch a little. My breath brushes against her cheek as I whisper fiercely, "Apologize."

Her eyes flicker with uncertainty now as our faces are so close together that our noses almost touch. She breathes in sharply when I say that last word.

"Fine," she mumbles begrudgingly, "I'm sorry for biting you," she admits but doesn't sound sorry at all.

A small smirk tugs at my lips. She's not backing down. Good..good.

"Now let me go," she demands, trying to pull away from my grip.

I release her chin slowly and cross my arms, watching as she straightens up proudly. She rubs her jaw angrily but doesn't show any signs of pain where I grabbed her before. She's tougher than she looks, this one.

"I want to go to the Penthouse," she says. "Right now."

"What for?" I bark.

"If you are going to destroy it, I need to get something out of there first," she says.

"And what would that be?" I ask.

"None of your business!" she snaps.

I nearly chuckle at her attitude. "It technically belongs to me now, so it is my business what you get out of it."

She narrows her eyes at me and glowers. "There's a painting...I want the painting."

I roll my eyes but relent. "Fine, I will let you get that even though you just attacked me like an animal. But you're staying on a very short leash. Understand?"

She nods curtly, her dark waves swaying around her face as she frowns. "Should I ask Nathan to drive me there?" she asks.

"No, I will drive you there myself," I reply.