Chapter 51

Sarah

"Well played, Sarah. Well played."

I can't help but giggle as I read Vincent's text, knowing that he received my surprise present. Imagining his grumpy face and the cartoonish steam coming out of his ears as he watches a clown performance brings me so much joy.

I wish I was there to see it!

My phone interrupted my thoughts with a call from Vincent, but I decided to let him cool down for a bit.

I snuggle back into bed, still feeling giddy from our dirty phone talk. Who knew I had it in me? Definitely not me!

Vincent may be a grouch, but he sure knows his stuff when it comes to sex. Maybe marrying him wasn't such a bad idea after all...

My phone rings again. Wow, Vincent sure is persistent. I guess I better answer the phone before he explodes.

But to my surprise, it was Jared who was calling me.

I quickly answer the phone, my heart pounding. I haven't spoken to him since my birthday party.

"Hey, Jared, what's up?" I ask, trying to sound casual, but I can hear the nervousness in my voice. It feels like ages since we last spoke, and the sudden call throws me off balance.

"Sarah, hi. I just wanted to check in on you. It's been a while," Jared says, his voice carrying a mix of concern and awkwardness.

"Yeah, it has been. I'm doing okay, thanks. How about you?" I ask.

"I'm good, good. Just been busy with work and stuff," he replies, the usual chitchat filling the space between us. But there's an unspoken tension.

The conversation stumbles along, with both of us tiptoeing around the elephant in the room—my abrupt marriage to Vincent and the whirlwind of changes that followed.

"Listen, Sarah, about your marriage to Vincent... I just hope you're happy, that's all," Jared finally says, breaking the silence on the topic.

His words hit me harder than I expected. The concern in his voice reminds me of the friendship we once shared, a friendship that feels like it's from another lifetime now.

"Thanks, Jared. That means a lot," I reply, sincerity lacing my words. "It's been... a unique experience, to say the least. But I'm managing."

"I wanted to see if you wanted to hang out. We didn't get to talk much at your party, and there is still a lot I want to talk to you about," he says.

"I don't know, Jared... I mean, I'm married now," I say,

"I know, I know. But we're still friends, right? We can just catch up as friends?" he persists, his voice tinged with hope.

Right. Jared is my childhood best friend, so why am I hesitant to meet him?

I could already hear Vincent's disapproving voice in my head as I considered meeting up with Jared. But hey, isn't it my life goal to defy him anyway?

"Okay, Jared, where do you want to meet?" I ask.

~-~

Two hours have passed since I agreed to meet Jared at my favorite coffee shop. My heart is pounding with a mix of excitement and nervousness as I look around the bustling cafe.

I had almost given up on him showing up when suddenly, I hear my name being called. I turn to see Jared striding towards me with a bright smile on his face.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. Traffic was a nightmare," he says apologetically as he takes a seat across from me.

"It's okay. I've been keeping myself busy with some people watching," I reply with a casual shrug. But deep down, I am relieved that he finally showed up.