Chapter 23

Sarah

After Sophia leaves, I feel lonely again.

I walk around the garden for a bit and then go back to my room to read my book. The house is surprisingly quiet today. No sign of Vincent or Nathan anywhere.

I excitedly open the book, ready to dive into some steamy erotica. But my excitement quickly turns into frustration as memories of giving Vincent a blowjob flood my mind, and I angrily hurl the book against the wall. Why does he have to ruin everything, even my reading material? Ugh!

Fuck you, Vincent, and your stupid abs and handsome face.

DING!

I nearly jump out of my skin as my phone chimes.

"Hey, bitch. My birthday is tomorrow evening. You are coming, right?" my friend Natalie's text graces my eyeballs.

I glance at the text on my phone and beam. It's Natalie's birthday tomorrow, and I had completely forgotten about it. How could I? She's been my best friend since high school. But between the marriage sham and my husband's mysterious vendetta, everything else seemed to have taken a backseat.

But Natalie deserves better than that. And she would never let me hear the end of it if I missed her birthday.

I quickly reply to her text, assuring her that I'll be there.

As soon as I hit send, I hear a knock on my door.

"Yes?" I shout out.

"It's Nathan," the deep voice says.

What does he want?

I open the door with a forced smile. "Hey, Nathan."

"Hey," he replies, looking uncertain.

"What brings you here?" I ask.

"I... just wanted to check on you," he says hesitantly.

"That's sweet of you," I say without hiding my sarcasm. "Is that all?"

"Well, I came to tell you that Vincent assigned me as your bodyguard, so if you need to go somewhere, I am happy to drive you," he says.

I nearly groan. A bodyguard? Seriously? 

"Pfft...now I really feel like I am in prison." I scoff.

"Hey, I am not a bad company, and I won't always shadow you. Just when you go out so I know you are safe," Nathan says.

"Whatever. But I am glad you came because I want you to drive me somewhere tomorrow," I say.

Nathan raises an eyebrow. "Where?"

"My friend Natalie's house. You remember her. Blonde, overly flirty. I introduced her to you at the bridal shop," I remind him.

Nathan scratches his head, but his eyes light up in recognition. "Ah, yes. That friend. Sure, I will drive you there. But did you ask Vincent?"

I narrow my eyes. "Ask him? Don't tell me he expects me to ask his permission to go somewhere. Who does he think he is?" I cry out.

Nathan raises his hands in surrender. "Jeez...don't get so angry. He didn't exactly say it in those words, but I think he expects you to inform him where you go."

"Well, he can screw off," I grumble.

Nathan laughs. "Wow, you really have it out for him, huh?"

"He deserves it," I mutter under my breath.

"Right," Nathan laughs. "Well, anyway, I will be around if you need anything."

After Nathan leaves, I rush to the closet, eager to find something to wear for Natalie's party.

Thanks to my little shopping spree with Sophia, I now have a whole new wardrobe with plenty of options. Vincent may be evil, but he spared no expense and didn't even ask me any questions when I freely used his credit card.

As I browse through the racks of clothes in my closet, I can't help but feel a little guilty. Vincent may be using me for his own gain, but he has also provided me with so much more than I ever had before.

I push those thoughts aside and focus on finding the perfect outfit for Natalie's party. After all, this is my chance to have some fun and forget about all my troubles for one night.

I finally settle on a knee-length black dress with a plunging neckline. It's simple yet sexy, and I know it will make an impression.

I feel a twinge of excitement. It's been a while since I've gone out without Vincent by my side, and it feels liberating.

"Going somewhere?"

As I turn around, my eyes meet Vincent's intense gaze. His piercing blue eyes seem to see through me as I face him. "Going somewhere?" he asks coolly.

I steel myself before responding. "I have somewhere to be tomorrow," I reply.

His eyebrows raise in curiosity. "Oh yeah? Where?"

I feel a surge of frustration at his prying questions. "None of your damn business," I bark, trying to sound confident but feeling like a scared child.

He takes slow, deliberate steps toward me, his calculating movements sending shivers down my spine. "It is my business. You are my wife, and it is my responsibility to know where you are at all times," he asserts firmly.

I resign myself to the fact that there's no point in arguing with him. His no-nonsense tone silences any further protest from me. With a heavy sigh, I relent. "My best friend Natalie is having a birthday party tomorrow. There...satisfied now?" I say, unable to hide the irritation in my voice.

"Hmm, alright," he says and sits down at the edge of the bed.

"And you are not invited!" I squeal.

A small, genuine smile creeps across his face as he looks at me. "No?"

I shake my head firmly. "No."

"Why not?" he asks, a hint of disappointment creeping into his voice.

His gaze lingers on me for a moment, and I can't help but wonder why he seems sad about it. Could it be that he actually wanted to come with me? But that can't be possible. Why would Vincent, the cold, stoic man, care about attending my friend's low-key birthday party?

He must have better things to do, right?

I stutter out a response, trying to find the right words. "B-because I don't think this is something you would enjoy. It's not really your style," I finally manage to explain.

For a moment, I consider the idea of bringing him with me, hoping to impress my friends with my handsome and sophisticated husband.

His expression turns serious as he questions me further. "Not my scene? What do you mean by that?" His brows furrow in confusion as he tries to understand my reasoning.

"Well, it's a party with a bunch of young people having fun." I point my index finger at him. "And you, sir, are no fun," I declare.

He stands up and starts walking toward me, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "How do you know?" he asks, stopping inches away from me.

"I just know," I answer with a shrug, feeling more defiant than I intended.

With a gentle touch, he lifts my chin and guides my gaze to meet his. "I can let loose and enjoy myself too. I was once your age."

"Yeah...like...twenty years ago," I scoff.

"Hey, I am not that old." Vincent laughs.

"Whatever. If you want to come, then come. I can't stop you." I slap his hand off my face and stride out of the room.