Chapter 38

Vincent

Helen takes a slow sip of her drink, trying to stifle her laughter.

"What's so funny?" I snap, feeling my patience wearing thin.

"I just can't help but find this whole situation hilarious," Helen chuckles.

"What situation?" I ask, not finding anything amusing about being manipulated by a 20-year-old girl.

"The fact that this sweet, innocent girl has you, the stoic and unshakeable man, wrapped around her little finger," Helen bursts out laughing again.

I scoff at Helen's words. "You couldn't be more wrong, my dear. I have zero interest in Sarah."

"Am I, though? You haven't taken your eyes off her since we got here. I thought the plan was to bring me here and make her think you are into me. Instead, you've been ignoring me all night," Helen feigns disappointment, but her eyes are twinkling with amusement.

I narrow my eyes at Helen, feeling a surge of annoyance coursing through me. "You don't know anything about me or my relationship with Sarah," I retort sharply, though her words strike a nerve.

Helen merely raises an eyebrow, unfazed by my outburst. "Oh, but I think I do," she says coyly, taking another sip of her drink. "Actions speak louder than words, Vincent."

I grit my teeth, resisting the urge to snap at her.

"I brought you here because I thought you would be an enjoyable company," I say, attempting to regain control of the situation. "But if you'd prefer to leave..."

Helen laughs again. "Oh, Vincent, don't be so uptight. I'm just teasing you," she says, placing a hand on my arm.

I resist the urge to shrug her off. "Just do your job and pretend like you are into me."

"I AM into you, honey bunny," Helen purrs, using the nickname she knows I hate. "Just not the way you're into your wife."

"For God's sake, Helen. I'm not into Sarah," I say in a hoarse whisper.

"Keep telling yourself that. But why play these games, Vincent? Why not just accept her? She seems fun and hella sexy..."

"Don't you think about it, Helen. She is mine!" I growl but quickly lower my voice.

"Sheesh Vince. For someone who claims to not like her, you sure are possessive," Helen giggles.

I sighed. Maybe bringing Helen to get a rise out of Sarah was a mistake. But Helen is a good friend and one of the few people I trust. And she loves acting so I thought she'd be perfect at playing my lover.

"Look, Helen, it's complicated. For now, just follow my lead, okay?" I say.

"Sure, but I think your plan is failing because she seems to be having a great time with another man," Helen says, pointing at Sarah dancing with Jared again.

What the hell? I thought she was with Sophia.

I clench my fists as anger flares inside me. I want to stomp over there, grab her, and lock her in my bedroom, but I can't make a scene in front of all these people. I still have a reputation to uphold.

I take a deep breath, trying to quell the surge of jealousy and frustration bubbling inside me. "She's just dancing with him," I mutter, though the sight of Sarah in another man's arms ignites a fire inside me.

Helen chuckles, still finding my anger amusing. "Alright, big boy. How about we dance too? Show off to your beautiful wife, who you clearly aren't in love with?"

I ignore her sarcasm and grab her hand. "Yes, let's do that. Great idea, Helen."

As I take Helen's hand and lead her to the dance floor, I try to push aside the turmoil swirling inside me. I can feel Helen's eyes on me, her amusement evident in the way she moves, effortlessly playing her role as my pretend lover.