Chapter 32

Sarah

Sophia's voice was filled with surprise and shock as she spoke, her eyes wide and her hand covering her mouth in disbelief. "Wow, I had no idea Vincent went through something like that in college. I never would have guessed he was in love with someone like that," she says, a hint of sadness in her tone.

My heart constricts at the memory of Vincent's past love, knowing how much it still affects him. "Yeah, it was a difficult time for him. And now he's determined to hurt me because of it," I say with a heavy sigh, my own thoughts swirling with conflicted emotions.

After my argument with Vincent last night, I ran off to the guest room and shut the door. I would've gone to the bedroom, but I didn't want to risk him breaking the door again.

And now, I'm sitting in the garden with Sophia, telling her my sad tale about how my husband wants to make my life into a living hell.

Sophia's brow furrows as she ponders my words. "Hmm...I don't know, Sarah. I don't think Vincent would actually hurt you," she says slowly. "Maybe he was just caught up in the heat of the moment and didn't really mean it."

My heart aches at her naivety. "You weren't there last night, Sophia," I say with a mix of frustration and sadness. "You didn't see the pure hatred and rage in his eyes when he looked at me. It was like staring into the depths of hell."

Sophia's eyes lit up with a mischievous glint. "I have an idea!" she exclaimed.

"Is it killing him?" I asked, matching her excitement.

She burst into laughter. "No, silly! You can't just kill someone!"

"Why not? Hear me out - we off him, split the inheritance, and everyone wins," I proposed.

Sophia shook her head and chuckled. "Sorry Sarah, that's not how it works. Plus, he is my brother."

"Fine, then what's your genius plan?" I huffed.

"Kill him with kindness," Sophia grinned mischievously.

Sophia's suggestion takes me by surprise, but as I consider it. "Kill him with kindness?" I repeat skeptically.

Sophia nods enthusiastically. "Yes! Show him that his hatred and cruelty won't break you. Be kind to him, even when he least expects it. It might just disarm him and make him rethink his actions."

I mull over her words, the thought of countering Vincent's hostility with sweetness is both intimidating and exhilarating. "It'll be quite a challenge to be all lovey-dovey when he's acting more like the Grinch than a human being."

"Come on, sweetie. You've read romance novels. The grumpy ones always have the softest hearts," Sophia mused.

"This is real life, Sophia. Your brother is not some character from your erotica collection," I scoff.

Sophia chuckles at my response. "Fair point, but it's worth a shot, isn't it? Besides, sometimes real life surprises us in ways we never expect."

I sigh, conceding to her optimism. "You're right. I'll give it a try. Maybe underneath all that hostility, there's a shred of humanity left in Vincent."

"That's the spirit!" Sophia beams, her enthusiasm infectious. "And who knows, maybe this could be the turning point in your relationship with him."

"Thanks for the support, Sophia. But I have no desire to build any relationship with him." I roll my eyes.

Sophia winks at me. "Are you sure? Don't you want to be the maiden who saves the heartbroken prince?" She teases me.

"Pfft! Vincent is no prince. He is more like the..."

I stop talking and nearly fall off my chair when I hear someone clear their throat. I quickly turn my head to find Vincent standing in front of us, glaring.

Shoot...how much did he hear?

"Go ahead, Sarah. Finish the sentence. I'm more like, what?" He growls.

I stand up to face him. "You are more like the Villain."

Vincent's eyes narrow as he takes in my words, his expression darkening with anger. "Is that so?" he says through gritted teeth.

I swallow nervously, but I refuse to back down. "Yes, Vincent. You're acting like the villain in this story, tormenting me for something I had no control over."

He takes a step closer, his gaze piercing into mine. "And what about you, Sarah? Are you innocent in all of this?"

I meet his gaze squarely, my resolve firm. "Yes I am and you know this better than I do."

Vincent's jaw clenches, his fists tightening at his sides. "So this is how you are going to play it? By trying to turn my own sister against me?"

Sophia steps in. "You got this all wrong, Vince. Sarah wasn't trying to turn me against you. She simply needed someone to talk to."

Vincent glares at her. "I wouldn't trust her if I were you, Sophi. She is the offspring of Thomas Whitmore, the most despicable human being I've ever met."

I huff in anger listening to him talk. He is acting like I'm not even here! "For the last time, I'm not responsible for what he did!" I exclaim.

Sophia steps forward, placing a hand on Vincent's arm. "Vincent, please. Mistreating Sarah won't solve anything. Can't you see that?"

Vincent's expression softens slightly, a flicker of doubt crossing his features. But then, his defenses snap back into place, and he shakes his head. "You don't know what you're talking about, Sophia. Just stay out of this."

With that, he walks away.

"See what I mean? That man is infuriating," I complain.

Sophia sighs sympathetically, nodding in agreement. "I know, Sarah. Vincent can be stubborn and difficult to deal with, especially when he's convinced he's in the right."

"I just don't understand why he's so determined to make my life miserable," I say, frustration evident in my voice. "What did I ever do to deserve this?"

Sophia reaches out to squeeze my hand gently. "You didn't do anything wrong, Sarah. Sometimes, people's actions are driven by their own insecurities and past experiences. It's not a reflection of who you are."

I appreciate Sophia's comforting words, but the knot of worry in my stomach refuses to loosen. "He said he won't divorce me either," I murmur.

"Do you want to? Divorce him, I mean," Sophia asks me.

I pause, considering Sophia's question carefully. "I... I'm not sure," I admit, uncertainty creeping into my voice. Part of me wants to be free from this constant tension and hostility, but another part of me feels a bit attached to Vincent. Somewhere along the way, I got used to having him around.

Sophia smiles at me. "Is it possible that you might like him a little?"

I gasp out loud. "Me? Like him? Hell no!"