Chapter 24

Vincent

What am I doing anymore?

Why did I just impulsively invite myself to Sarah's friend's party? It's not like me to seek out some one-night entertainment or indulge in juvenile fun. I don't even like going to business events.

But here I am, going against my own grain and stepping into a world that is not my own. I can already imagine the swarm of carefree nineteen and twenty year olds that will fill the party. And then there's me - feeling like an outsider among them all. So why did I even bother agreeing to come?

"Are you really coming with me?" Sarah asks for the third time.

My annoyance rises at her persistence. "Yes, I am," I reply curtly.

She furrows her brow, concern etched into her features. "You're not going to cramp my style, right?"

I can't help but smirk in response. "Cramp your style? Really?"

She nods seriously. "Yes. But don't worry, even if you try to rain on my parade, it won't work. Natalie is my girl and I can do whatever I please at her party. So there." She sticks out her tongue playfully.

I mockingly scold, "Sarah, Sarah, you're being so immature."

Her pout deepens. "Oh hush, you're just jealous of my fun-loving spirit."

"Yeah, that's it. I am jealous," I say, shaking my head.

As we arrive at the party, my discomfort grows. Even when I was a teenager, I didn't go to parties like this. I was mostly a loner.

Sarah, on the other hand, seems thrilled. She practically bounces out of the car, leaving me to catch up as she strides confidently toward the suburban home.

Reluctantly, I trail behind. For once, I am dressed in casual attire: a pair of jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

"Hey, guys!" Sarah cries as soon as she enters the house.

A girl with black hair bounces toward us. "Sarah, you made it! And you brought..."

"He is...um...my sugar daddy," Sarah blurts out.

I refrain from groaning out loud. "I am her husband," I say curtly.

"No way! I heard you got married, Sarah, but I had no idea your husband was such a hottie," the girl says, eyeing me up and down.

What the fuck? Are all kids these days this forward?

"Shit, Erin. Why do you always have to be so flirty?" Sarah barks at her. Her eyes are suddenly dark.

Oh, is my little wife jealous? I can't help but grin at the thought.

"Sorry, sorry. I am just being honest," Erin says with a grin.

"Where is Natalie?" Sarah asks as if trying to divert Erin's attention away from me.

"Over there by the ping pong table," Erin replies.

Sarah grabs my hand and pulls me away with her as if trying to get me as far away from Erin as possible.

The party is a mess of people talking over each other, music blasting in the background, and bright lights flashing. Sarah was right all along. This wasn't my scene.

My eyes wander around, taking in the crowd. Teenagers and young adults are everywhere. Some couples make out on the couches, while others play games or dance wildly in the middle of the room.

Sarah drags me towards a group near the Ping-Pong table - Natalie is there, sipping something out of a red solo cup through a straw with a smirk on her face.