Chapter 37

As I dance with Jared, our bodies moving to the rhythm, I steal another glance at Vincent. Our eyes lock for a moment, the intensity of his gaze sending a shiver down my spine.

It's a silent battle of wills, the charged atmosphere crackling between us like an electric current. I refuse to be the first one to look away, and I can feel the satisfaction swelling within me when he breaks eye contact first.

Jared twirls me around, laughing as I stumble into his arms. "You're really going all out tonight, aren't you?" he teases.

"Damn right," I retort, my heart racing with adrenaline and anticipation. "It's my birthday, after all." But that's not the only reason I'm pushing the boundaries tonight. No, it's more than that – it's about winning this power struggle against Vincent, the man who's been holding me captive.

I know seeing me this close to Jared is making him angry – I'm getting under his skin, throwing him off balance.

I know it's dangerous, this game I'm playing. But the rush of power and control is intoxicating, driving me forward in my quest for vengeance. Turning back to Jared, I let out a carefree laugh, allowing myself to get lost in the moment.

Vincent's date, Helen, watches him with a mixture of confusion and concern, but he pays her no mind. Instead, his eyes remain locked on me, burning with intensity.

Helen leans over and whispers something in his ear and that seems to bring him back to reality. Vincent turns to her, all smiles, and then pulls her closer to him.

Helen's hand is on his chest now, fiddling with the buttons on the front as she laughs at something he said.

That slut! She has her grimy hand all over my husband...

"Sorry, Jared, I need a moment," I say abruptly, releasing myself from his embrace and stepping away.

"Wait, Sarah," he calls after me, but I'm already making my way through the crowd, desperate to put some distance between myself and Vincent.

I slip out onto the balcony to get some air. But as I lean against the railing, trying to catch my breath, I hear the sound of footsteps approaching.

"Sorry, Jared, I was just..."

"That was a nice show you were putting on back there. Did you think you would get away with it?" Vincent's voice is low and menacing, sending a jolt of fear through me. But I refuse to back down.

"Watch me," I snarl, my eyes narrowing in defiance.

"Be careful, Sarah," he warns, his voice dripping with malice. "You don't know who you're playing with."

"Neither do you," I shoot back, my heart pounding in my chest as I face him. 

We lock eyes for what feels like ages, unable to break the intense gaze between us. It's almost like a childish game of a staring contest.

"I am impressed, Sarah," Vincent finally breaks the silence. "I didn't think you'd have the guts to parade your little boyfriend around in front of me."

"Well, I expected you to parade your so-called lover since I already knew you were a despicable human being," I say with a tight jaw.

Vincent laughs lowly, and it makes my skin crawl. "Is that so?"

"Oh yes," I go on, moving closer to him now, our chests almost touching. The wind rustles my hair and carries our scents, mixing them together in an intoxicating blend: his cologne and his desire for revenge, my perfume and my need for freedom. His breath is hot against my neck when he speaks again.

"He will know you are just a tease," he says softly, his hand finding its way to the small of my back and pressing me against him. 

My heart hammers in my chest as I look up at him from under lowered lashes, biting my lip subtly.