Chapter 55

Vincent

"Stop giving me that look," I grumble, trying to nudge Sarah away, but she just snuggles in closer.

"What look?" Sarah asks with wide eyes.

"Don't act innocent," I say, trying to hide a smile. "You know what I'm talking about."

"I really don't," she protests. "Why don't you enlighten me, Vincent?"

"You are looking at me like...like...you are in love with me or something," I say.

Sarah's cheeks flush a delicate shade of pink, and she averts her gaze for a moment before meeting mine again.

"Well, maybe I am," she admits softly, a hint of vulnerability in her voice.

I pause, caught off guard by her admission. For a moment, I'm rendered speechless, unsure of how to respond to her unexpected confession.

"What the hell are you saying?" I manage to let out, my voice betraying my shock.

Sarah bites her lower lip and looks at me intently as if she doesn't know how to respond. But then, after a long moment of contemplation, she lets out a sigh. "I'm joking, of course. I could never love you," she says with a forced laugh. "It would only bring me more pain."

"You aren't wrong," I say gruffly. "But then, why are you giving me those puppy dog eyes?"

She snorts. "The puppy dog eyes? What does that even mean?"

I can't help but chuckle. "You know, the way you look at someone with big, pleading eyes, like a puppy begging for attention or affection," I explain, trying to suppress a grin. "It's hard to explain, but you definitely have a way of doing it."

"Maybe I'm just naturally cute, Vincent. Did you think about that?" She barks.

"Naturally annoying, more like it," I scoff. "And by the way, I just wanted to fuck you, so stop trying to always cuddle me after sex."

"But you are so warm! I was freezing after coming out of the shower," she whines and keeps her head rested on my chest.

I roll my eyes, trying to ignore the flutter in my chest. "Fine, just this once," I relent, wrapping my arms around her and pulling her closer. "But don't get used to it. I'm not your personal heater."

She giggles and snuggles closer, her warmth seeping into my skin. "Thank you. You are not so bad after all," She whispers.

I grumble something unintelligible in response, but deep down, I secretly enjoy the feeling of her in my arms. I may enjoy cuddling her just a tiny bit. But I'll never admit it out loud.

I close my eyes, intending to fall asleep. It is really late, and the night is almost over, so I will only have a couple of hours of sleep.

As I started to drift off, Sarah's steady breathing and the warmth of her body against mine brought a sense of comfort that I hadn't realized I was craving.

This isn't good.

"Psst...Vincent."

My eyes flutter open, and I groan in annoyance. I almost fell asleep!

"What?" I bark.

"Did you bring my cotton candy?" She asks.

I let out an exasperated sigh. "Are you serious right now, Sarah? It's the middle of the night. Why are you asking me about cotton candy?"

"You promised you'd bring me some!" She exclaims, half sitting down now.

I rub my temples, trying to ward off the headache forming from Sarah's relentless antics. "Sarah, you are not a child."