Chapter 41

Vincent

At first, I didn't pay much attention to the scene in front of me, but I suddenly spotted Sarah and Helen immersed in a deep conversation. Their heads are bent close together, and their gestures are animated.

A sense of unease began to creep into my mind. I can't shake off the feeling that something is brewing between them, and I am not sure I like it.

Helen better not be blowing my cover! I stride over to them immediately.

Helen's cheerful voice breaks through the chatter of the crowded room as she sees me coming. "There you are, Vince, we were just talking about you!"

"What the hell are you doing?" I bark, my anger rising as I approach them.

"As you can see, Vincent, I'm enjoying a drink with your lover," Sarah says with a sassy smile, taking a sip from her glass.

"Why are you having a drink with Helen?" I narrow my eyes, trying to hide the confusion coursing through me.

Helen raises an eyebrow, unfazed by my rudeness. "Relax, Vincent. We were just having a friendly chat."

"A friendly chat?" I scoff, my hands curling into fists at my sides. "You are my date, Helen. Not Sarah's best friend."

Sarah's lips stretch into a smug grin, and I can practically see the victory dance she's doing in her head. "Calm down, would you? We were just gushing about your irresistible charm."

I clench my jaw, trying not to let my annoyance show. This was definitely not how I pictured this evening going, and there was no way I was going to let Sarah and Helen bond over it.

"I don't have time for your games, Sarah," I snap, my voice cutting through the air like a knife. "And as for you, Helen, I suggest you remember whose side you're supposed to be on."

Helen rolls her eyes, clearly unimpressed by my threats. "Oh, spare me the melodrama, Vincent. It's not like you're fooling anyone anyway."

I groan. "Alright. Its party is over. I'm taking you home."

Helen looks at Sarah and shrugs, then takes my arm with a smirk. "Alright, lover. Take me home."

I shoot Helen a warning glare, but she just laughs and leans into my side, clearly enjoying the situation far too much for my liking.

As we make our way out of the party, I can feel Sarah's eyes burning into my back. But I refuse to let her get to me. I'll deal with her later.

Once we're outside and away from prying eyes, I stop and turn to face Helen. "What the hell was that?" I demand, my voice is low and tight with frustration.

Helen just laughs, the sound ringing through the night air like a mocking echo. "Relax, Vincent. It was just a bit of harmless fun."

"Harmless fun?" I repeat incredulously, my fists clenching at my sides. "You are supposed to be helping me make Sarah miserable. Not become her best friend."

Helen's face turns. "Yes, I know. But you should rethink your decision. Sarah is just an innocent young girl. She doesn't deserve to be hurt."

"I didn't ask for your opinion," I grumble.

"Alright, alright. Just...take it easy on her," Helen says and pats my shoulder.

I scoff at Helen's attempt to appeal to my non-existent sense of mercy. As if I'm going to go easy on Sarah after I promised myself not to. Not a chance in hell.

"You know me better than that, Helen," I say, my voice dripping with disdain. "I don't do easy. And I sure as hell don't do mercy."

I can see the concern in Helen's eyes, but I don't give a damn about her misguided worries. All I care about is revenge.