" Broken promises "

Shehnaaz

" Zahara now listen to me carefully hold mumma's hand don't run and leave mumma ok?"

I say for  the fifth time which made Zahara annoyed who rolled her eyes at me still holding my hand I shook my head at the drama queen , picking up our order from Starbucks, we waited for my brother sameer to pick us up from the airport along with dad. I got us some egg bites for zahara and coffee for myself I fed some egg bites to zahara who chewed on the food looking around holding a stuff toy in her hand it was her favorite toy, I fixed zahara's cap which had been constantly tugged by her and thrown on the ground at different directions on the plane and on the ground, the amount of time chips had gotten the dropped cap like a stick to me.

" Mumma no "

" Zahara it's cold, you need to wear the cap baby "

Fixing the cap properly this time making sure she doesn't pull it this time , I held the leash of the dogs and hugged zahara tight watching my family on sight I smiled watching my brother walking along with the guards towards us he picked zahara in his arms hugging her tight kissing her forehead she smiles hugging him back sameer forwarded his hand towards me which I took it happily hugging him back into a bone crushing hug.

" I missed you so much stupid "

" You spoke to me a while ago you idiot and who are you calling stupid "

Moving back from the hug I glared at my brother talking who played with zahar, he pulled my cheeks and headed out towards our car to find my father waiting for us I hugged dad and felt my eyes moist looking at him, I and dad had always been close being raised by a single parent , he had made sure me and my brother have a strong bond with our father, he was always there for us provided anything and everything spend time with us and spoils us with love.  I sat next to my father on the back who had zahara in his arms talking to her I watched my brother and father conversing to my daughter animatedly listening to her who spoke animatedly which were just few words  being repeated again and again.

Holding zahara in my arms I watch my dad doing a arti and welcoming us in I placed zahara on the ground who first hesitated to let go of me clinging to me tightly knowing it was an unknown place for her but she saw her mamu extending his arms to carry her , she looked skeptical while I assured her everything would be fine and she went to him happily looking around  the house along with the dogs. I sat on the couch looking around my childhood home which brings back the memories I shared with my family , the helper passed me a glass of water I smiled at her picking up the cup talking to my father.

" How are you feeling now?? How is your leg?? "

" As you can see fit and fine "

" Dad last time I saw your left leg was swollen "

" It's arthritis shehnaaz, in old age these are common and let's not forget nothing can stop this army body "

" But papa you need to take care of yourself "

" When you are here, why do I need to worry about this stupid leg pain "

He smiled looking at me I just nod my head not knowing how to say my father I would be leaving soon, I saw my brother running towards us who was chased by a giggling zahara and the dogs he took a seat next to me and got tackled by my daughter who laughed as my brother was tickling her, she was begging for him to stop but my brother was far away from letting her go. He stops asking for time  out when he saw her exhausted he made her sit on his lap .