007. Bittersweet

The sweetest hello
can be the most bitter and
most painful goodbye.

🌙

❝Is this seat taken?❞ Someone asked me, hence the start of a rollercoaster ride-like journey.

I finally meet someone, someone whom I can call as my person. Both of us made a lot of unforgettable memories together since high school, and as we grew older, we went through all the ups and downs in life, including being back to strangers once again.

Then I find the courage to ask myself in the middle of the night, ❝Why does everyone love to leave me behind?❞

Maybe it was my fault, to begin with.

Maybe I was tedious to be with.

Maybe I was born to be alone, am I right?

I heaved a small sigh and wandered throughout the night with a bottle of red wine by my side. When morning came, I woke up with a sudden realization in this lifetime—maybe I am just not worth of their time.

What an amusing sentiment to think about as we wasted so many years of our lives stuck with each other, only to end up being back to strangers at the end of the story. I badly want to fight, but it takes two people to work on something, yet only one of us shows an effort to reconcile.

Is it so hard to apologize?

Is it so hard to admit that they made a mistake, too?

I heaved another sigh, but this time was long and deep, like I was still longing for what was lost a year ago. Now, I realize my worth; who leaves, leaves.

Tweet your thoughts and use #Melancholia on Instagram, Facebook, or X