14

Harry's POV

Professor McGonagall came back a few minutes later, showing us the way into the Great Hall. I have to say, it was pretty nice and instresting. The candles were floating (what if wax fell on us?), the ceiling was see through (Artemis was shining more than usual tonight), there were four tables that filled the whole room except for this fifth table that was placed a bit higher (I think it was the staff table, it was full of teacher after all) and infront of the teachers there was a dirty and dusty hat on a three-legged stool. 

Then the hat started to sing. Who knew hats could sing and talk?

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your black,
Your sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in ,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in ,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old ,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Was the Sorting Hat blessed by Apollo or something? Another thing to ask Will about. I looked at my new friends and they all looked at amazed and shocked as me. Even Blaise had dropped his mask for a few seconds before he remembered and his blank expression came back. 

Professor McGonagall started to call out names. The person would then walk up to the hat, sit on the stool and place the hat on their head. The hat took it's time (or not, sometimes the sorting was quick) to decide in which of the four houses should that person should go to. 

Hermione's POV

I realised that Professor McGonagall was calling people by alphabetical order. Alphabetical order from the surname. That meant that I would get sorted before any of my friends.

"Granger, Hermione!"

I walked quickly to the stool, said a small greeting to Professor McGonagall and sat down, the Sorting Hat soon covering my eyes. 

Hello

Who are you?

I'm the Sorting Hat, of course!

Where do you think I should be sorted then?

You are hardworking like a Hufflepuff, but you wouldn't fit in entirely as you wouldn't share the same principles as them.

Not Hufflepuff then

You are determined like a Slythering, but they wouldn't accept you and you wouldn't have a nice time.

Slytherin doesn't sound the best for a muggleborn like me, especially if Draco Malfoy gets sorted there.

I do sense a but of bravery and courage in you, but you wouldn't throw yourself into danger without thinking it through and coming up with ideas and plans.

Ravenclaw is the only one left, is that where I'll go?

I want your opinion now, what do you think?

I like the idea of joining the Ravenclaw's.

"RAVENCLAW!" the Sorting Hat shouted. Said table erupted into applause, welcoming their fellow housemate instantly.