18

Harry's POV

"Hey guys," I muttered as I sat between Neville and Soleil at the Gryffindor table. I had searched through the rule book to check if students from other houses could sit in another house table, and there was nothing against it. This meant that we would usually sit all of us together at the Gryffindor table, although it could change depending on how we felt.

"What's wrong?" Blaise asked, immediately noticing that something was off.

"It's not much, but it's basically that we've got-"

"Our first flying lesson!" Soleil exclaimed, grinning like a mad-man (or would it be mad-woman in this case?) and interrupting me.

"And I'm scared of heights," I added. I thought of a cover for not being able to go into the sky, because if not Zeus could zap me, and both Nico and Will agreed that being afraid of heights was a pretty good cover up.

"My gran says I'm too clumsy, and I agree with her," Neville said, looking slightly pale.

"Do you think I could learn any tips for riding a broom? I haven't found anything yet..." Hermione trailed off, burrying her nose into whatever book she was reading now.

"Everyone, just relax." Blaise kind of shouted over all of our voices. 

"Soleil, calm down or you will bounce of your broom." Soleil nodded and visibly calmed down a little. 

"Harry, if you are afraid of heights then you have a solid reason not to get on a broom." I sighed but nodded nonetheless. 

"Neville, do not belive everything your grandmother tells you, have some confidence in yourself." Neville blushed a little and nodded shyly, still not used to receiving nice words. 

"Hermione, you might find some tips in a book but the best tips you can get are from Madam Hooch." She nodded but carried on reading. 

Soleil's POV

I am internally bouncing from the excitement. What do you mean with internally, you may ask. Well, Blaise told me that I could end up bouncing off my broom and I did not want to miss my first ever flying lesson just because I accidentally jumped off my broom.

As Madam Hooch shouted at all of us to stand next to a broom, I chose one that was next to Hermione and a blond Slytherin. I as soon as I saw his head, I felt so sorry for his hair; slicked back so much that it looked like a white, shiny, metal helmet.

When I came back to reality, I realised that everyone had raised their hands above their brooms and started to shout up, barely any of the brooms following their orders.

Blaise and Harry had done it without any effort, although Harry did look slightly pale and weary of his broom, holding it as far away from himself as possible.

Hermione and Neville hadn't managed to make their's rise, but I'm sure that they'll eventually get it to work.

I raised my hand above the broom and took a deep breath in. "UP!" The broom flew immediately into my open palm the instant that I finished pronouncing the word. I looked around, proud that I was one of the top ten students to be able to achieve it.

Harry's POV

The broom had done just as I has asked it to, but I wish it hadn't. I didn't want to fly. I didn't want to be anywhere near the sky without my feet touching the floor. Uncle P is nicer than Uncle Z, so if I pray to him before I go on a boat or something, he doesn't drown me. Uncle Z will strike me down no matter what I do to prevent it.

"When I count to three, I want you all to kick off the ground and rise a meter or so from the ground. Nothing more and nothing less," Madam Hooch instructed us once everyone had managed to get grab their brooms.

"One... Two... And th- What are you doing?!"

Neville had shot straight into the air, raising a considerable amount by the minute. I could hear his shouts and screams of fear and terror as he got farther and farther away from the ground. 

"Get back down!" Madam Hooch shouted as if it would help Neville in any possible way. 

I prayed silently, hoping that no harm would be brought to him. WHy didn't the teacher do anything else except shout?

Blaise's eyes had narrowed, his fingers tightening around his broom. Soleil was shouting at the teacher, her broom nearly hitting Malfoy. Hermione had her arms wrapped tightly around Soleil's waist, trying to stop her from getting on her broom and flying towards Neville or from running towards the teacher and force her to do something.

But time was ticking and gravity was doing its job. Neville lost his grip on the broom and fell to his death, just like Icarus. 

Don't worry, I wouldn't let Thanatos take Neville. My unfortunate friend just injured his wrist, which is a miracle as from that height a normal muggle/mortal would've died.

As Madam Hooch finally did her role as a teacher, she helped Neville stand up and took him to the Hospital Wing. She shouted a warning at us to not fly on our brooms or we would be expelled. I guess I'll be staying for a bit longer at this school then, I'll find another way to get in trouble. I always do.