Emeralds [Angst/Comfort] S8

woah i have not posted in a long time

i went into this one without a plan and i adore how it came out. i love this concept with my entire being lmao

HEADCANONS USED:
- SBI GRIAN MY LOVE <3
      - Grian is the eldest son of Philza Minecraft, followed by Techno & Wilbur (twins), Pearl, then Tommy
- all members of the Minecraft family get a piece of jewelry that has their signature emerald
- Grian ran away from home at age 11 because he hated Phil's blunt and significant favoritism towards Techno
- skyblings <3

TWs:
- crying

"Hey Griba, how have you been?" a female voice cuts across the silence that Grian was sitting in. He flinches slightly in surprise, turning around to face his sister.

"Oh, hey Pearl," he replies, turning back around. He's currently sitting on the edge of Mumbo's base, simply looking out into the vast expanse of sea.

She takes a seat next to him, fluttering her moth wings a little bit. After a few seconds, she asks again. "How have you been?"

Grian sighs. "I'm holding up, you?" he returns the question.

"That's good to hear, I've been alright too." she replies, turning towards Grian. She gives him a small smile with a hint of care behind it. The silence returns as the two sit there together, gazing at the up and down motions of the waves in the ocean below.

After a few minutes, Pearl finally breaks the quiet. "Hey, G," she asks, her voice trailing off. Grian looks at his sister and sees the unsure expression on her face. Her eyes meet his.

"Do you ever-" she pauses for a second. "Do you ever think about them?"

Grian looks back towards the sea and breathes deeply a few times before answering. "I think you know the answer to that, Pearl," he responds, playing with his necklace. He usually keeps the jewelry item hidden under his iconic red sweater, but Grian twirls the charm in his hand slowly as he gazes down at the ocean below.

The necklace charm–a rhombus shaped emerald with gold accents holding it in place–rests on a gold chain.

Pearl also gently looks out to the vast ocean, concentrating on her breathing for a bit before sighing. "Look, Griba," she starts, grabbing her brother's attention. "I know I was young. And I don't remember much. But, you did the right thing."

Similarly to Grian, Pearl rolls up her left sleeve. She looks at the familial heirloom–a bracelet of the same style as Grian's necklace. It also holds a smaller, diamond-shaped emerald secured onto a golden chain. The emerald hangs off the bracelet like a charm.

Pearl takes the emerald into her hand and studies it–the way the light travels through the gemstone yet reflects off of the gold accents. She feels the underside of the jewel and runs her fingers over the precise carving of the letters 'MC', standing for 'Minecraft' – their last name.

Grian considers her words. And by considers, I mean processes them for two seconds before immediately countering the thought.

"No," he whispers out before continuing louder. "No, I didn't, Pearl," Grian meets Pearl's eyes, ever so slightly starting to tear up. "How could you possibly say I was in the right?! I- I left them. Alone. My actions were completely and utterly motivated by self interest. I was selfish! I ran away when I should've been there for them! God, I failed as an older brother, Pearl!" By now, the tears have started to fall. Grian brings his knees to his chest and buries his face in his hands.

Pearl reaches over and pulls Grian into a tight hug, to which he continues crying into. "No, no," she says softly, rocking back and forth lightly in an attempt to help calm her brother down. "You weren't being selfish. And you certainly haven't failed."

"P-Pearl, I left! The only reason we still have contact is because of chance! How could you say I'm not selfish and that I haven't failed!?" Grian cries into Pearl's shoulder, the occasional stutter breaking up his speech.

"Grian, you were 11 years old. There was no way you would have known better. I'm sure that they don't blame you, wherever they are," Pearl reassures. At her words, which Grian actually considers this time, he stays quiet for a good half minute, processing what has been said.

"Doesn't change the fact that I've failed them," Grian says, closing his eyes gently.

"I disagree," Pearl counters yet again. "I'm sure that if we were to see them now and ask if they hold any grudges against you, the answer would be unanimously no. You and I both know that Will might have possibly been upset for a day or two, but you never did anything to hurt them. In fact, the only memories they could possibly have of you are fond because you were always an amazing brother. I may have been really young, a mere 5 years old, when we both lived at that house, but you shone like a beam of light and were always there for all of us. You took care of us when Dad was too busy with the favorite child. So it doesn't matter what you did on the night you left, because of the lasting legacy you left in all of our hearts and memories."

As Pearl speaks, Grian remembers. He remembers all of the time spent in that household. He may have been forced to take care of young children, but he loved them. He still loves them. While Dad was too busy with Techno, Grian was cultivating strong ties with the other children. Hell, he even caught baby Tommy wearing one of his T-shirts and proclaiming that he would grow up to be just like Grian once.

The silence returns to the atmosphere and the two concentrate on their breathing as they hug, tear stains on Grian's face.

After a few minutes, Grian speaks up again. "Pearl?" he quietly says.

"Yes, Grian?"

"I miss them."

"I miss them too."

The setting sun's powerful rays shine through Boatem Town, illuminating the area. And as these rays fill the landscape, they make their way to the two at the top of Mumbo's base. They shine through the precious jewelry that they wear, illuminating the gemstones and, somehow, some way, comforting the two as the silence of dusk envelops them.

975 words

ok so i know im typically not the author to reply to comments and stuff but just know i read them all and omfg i actually cannot thank you all for the nice things you've been writing in comments. it blows my mind that people actually like my writing that much, so i just wanted to thank you all for being here, for reading MY book of all books. you're all amazing, thank you so so so so much <3

(ik this probably sounds really dry but it's 1 AM and im tired -- sorry ;-;)

again, thanks for reading, have an amazing rest of your day/evening/night <3

love you all!
     ~ Author <3