He Was Distracted [Angst-ish/Fluff] S10

TW: Author vent (not really but ima put it here anyways)

hey everyone, first of all, i'm so sorry for not uploading, life got very hectic, and i really wanted to post something, but i could barely find motivation to write. additionally, i've been incredibly  struggling with my physical health recently, especially in the lung/breathing department, and since breathing is detrimental to survival, i needed to take some time to recover. i'm still not 100% and have a feeling that i wont be for another good month. 

over my short break, i was chipping away at this oneshot, and i quite like first half, though the ending feels rushed and such...

that being said, thank you to everyone who's left a comment or voted or read my stories. you guys have no idea how happy it makes me knowing that people actually like my writing. whether you've just stumbled upon my book, or have been here since the beginning, you're all amazing, thank you for supporting my work <3

~ ~ ~

now that that's been said, i've finally written something watcher-related!

this was a combination of a bunch of ideas that were left in comments as well as my own brainstorming

TWs:
- watchers
- fire
- weapons
- decapitation (non-explicit)

lmk if there's anything i missed, enjoy!

It was just Grian being Grian. Nothing more than that. That's what everyone thought, at least. The Chamber of Sea Critters? Just something silly that he built as a joke. A fake temple, at most. But a real one? It couldn't possibly be something out-of-the-ordinary, something dangerous, something larger than any of them. So why is it that Grian's only let select people enter and see what he's been working on? Scar, once, to show him the painting. Cleo to build the statue. That was it.

The Chamber of Sea Critters was built with an ambiance that was supposed to be darker, which Grian had hoped would encourage the other hermits to stay away from his mysterious new build. But now he's frozen in fear on the stairs leading down to the platform on which the statue stands, the room enveloped by swirling purple mist that nearly entirely shrouds Grian's view, save for the platform itself and faint outlines of the walls of the room.

However, the statue of himself praising his finally-fished-up mending book has completely disappeared and been replaced by something else.

Despite standing on the stairs, which one might think would give him a vertical advantage over the one in the room with him, the incredibly tall being still towers over Grian, staring down at him through a white mask.

Craning his neck and sweating, Grian and the being stare at each other in silence, the creature's head moving slightly or one of its many pairs of wings fluttering on occasion. Grian cannot see its eyes thanks to the mask that covers most of its face, but can tell that its poisonous gaze is fixated on him, taking note of every movement or facial expression he makes.

Have you completed the given task? A powerful and mysterious voice speaks into his mind's ear. Grian shakily nods his head, quickly taking his precious mending book out of his inventory and holding it out, offering it to the being. After a few moments of examination, the book is whisked up and away from Grian by a purple energy, and starts floating between the two, bobbing up and down slightly, mimicking the bob of a lure.

The silence resumes as chills run down Grian's spine. Suddenly, he jumps back in horror as a spark lights the enchanted book ablaze, able to feel the heat of the flame from his position on the stairs.