Birds Can't Swim [Angst/Comfort] S10

it's been a minute, hasn't it?

writing block SUCKSSSSSS

FIRST SEASON 10 ONESHOT WOOOOOOOO

TWs:
- near character death (via drowning)
- grian neglecting his health

enjoy!

Just one more. One more and then I'll stop. The stream of bubbles steadily makes its way towards the lure. Grian's eyelids drift, daring to close before they are shot open when the bopper dips below the surface. He reels it in, praying that it might be a mending book-

"Nope. Just another cod," he says, exasperated.

Grian walks over to a barrel and plops it in to be stored later, then returns to the edge of the dock to recast his line. His eyes almost slip closed, but Grian forces them open as he cannot allow himself to fall asleep. He will get that mending book. He must.

Deciding to give himself a little rest, Grian reels his lure back in. However, as he tries to safely lower himself, his exhaustion catches up to him, and despite his best efforts, Grian's eyes finally slip closed and he falls asleep. Consequently, he falls off of the dock and tumbles to the bottom of the riverbed, fishing rod still in hand.

As he sinks farther down, the bopper of the fishing rod floats up to the surface and stays there, the line extending. He hits the bottom of the riverbed and settles there.

"Thanks for your help, Impulse!" Gem says with a smile, happy how her build has come out. She had been having a hard time with one section, and asked for some help from Impulse.

"Yeah, of course!" he replies. "It looks great!" Impulse smiles at Gem.

"Can we look at the other side?" Gem asks. "I just want to make sure it looks right."

"Sure, we can do that!" The two of them walk to the other side, but as they walk towards the river, they don't see Grian on his dock like usual, causing them to stop a minute. He usually is there, and they had both seen him fishing a few minutes earlier. Where has he gone?

Then, Gem notices the vibrant white and red of the bopper. "Why is that bopper there?"

"I'm not sure," Impulse says, squinting his eyes and trying to get a better look. He takes notice of the fact that the hook is facing upwards instead of towards the bottom of the river.

"Gem," Impulse starts. "It's upside down. That means that the line is underwater."

"I wonder why that is," she says before following where the line should be with her eyes. She then notices a blob of red at the bottom of the river.

Is that...? She thinks to herself, wanting to confirm before she says anything to Impulse. She then sees a dirty blonde color under the water. Oh my god...

"Impulse..." she says unsteadily.

"Yes?"

"Is that..." Gem starts. "Is that Grian underwater?" her voice unveils her fear as Impulse begins to see the distorted shape of their friend underwater.

"Oh my gosh," he says. "It is! We have to get him out!"

At once, the two of them leap forward and into the water, immediately swimming towards the blurry, red shape underwater. Not knowing exactly what to do or how long he's been under, they quickly loop their arms under his and pull him towards the surface. They lay him down and Impulse starts to do CPR as Gem shakes while typing a message to Xisuma on her communicator.