chapter nineteen

Jonah's POV 

Madison was coming in and out of consciousness for a few hours. She was up for about 30 minutes before she fell back asleep.

 They gave her some medicine for her throat, since it got all clogged up from the blueberries that's making her loopy.

We all walked outside for some air, since we've been stuck in that room with Mads Brother, since we are allowed in.

 Everyone has tried to get us to leave, but this is Maddie , we need to make sure she's safe.

"So..." I trailed off. We have not been able to talk about all of this. "How could we have let her eat blueberries?"

 We are the reason she's sick if we would've paid a little more attention out of this would happen. " guys stop, Maddie wouldn't want us to do that." Alex He's right, but that doesn't change anything, Mads has always been too forgiving.

"She's awake." I heard from behind me, they stood Ethan. "Thought you'd want to know." I nodded and brushed past him to get to Maddie's room. "Hey" I whispered walking up to her. "Hey J"

"You gave us quite a scare." no one talk to her about the accident yet. I glanced at Zach to see him watching our interaction with an emotionless stare.

"Yeah, I'm sorry." I smiled at her and ruffled her hair. I noticed her eyes getting droopy so I grabbed the white fluffy blanket. Logan's mom brought and draped it over Maddie. "I really am sorry." She mumbled, cuddling up to the blanket.

"Go to bed love" as soon as she fell asleep, acted up in motion for us to fall into the hallway. I shook my head, " I'm not leaving Maddie."

" Ethan's in here, come". I rolled my eyes and reluctantly left the room. "Explain how this happened." And suddenly my shoes became very interesting, I'm not normally ever scared of someone, but Zach is a whole different story.

"I won't repeat myself" I looked up to see to see everyone else's face stiff "We got her lunch and didn't notice the blueberries in it."

"So the reason my sister is in the hospital is because you were stupid enough not to check her food for blueberries?"

I'd bet five bucks that he didn't know. Maddie was even allergic to blueberries before he got the doctor's report. He has no right to be saying any of this, we care more about Maddie than he ever will.

"You endangered my sister, she could've died." And then I lost it.

"Don't you think we know that! We already feel awful about hurting her! You on the other hand are probably only mad because you had to leave work to make sure your little sister didn't die! But she's never been a sister to you, she was always a burden to you and we had to become her brothers because of the lousy ones she already had"

It hurts, it physically hurts to hear this person who randomly decided to become apart of one of my best friends life, talk down to us like that like we haven't been here for her since the day we met.

 He never cared about her, God knows why he randomly started caring, but she was better off with just us, she doesn't need them.

"And why the hell do you ignore the poor girl and talk down to her, her whole life and randomly decide to care about her now?"

He looked shocked, a person who I never seen show any kind of emotion looked shocked.

 "She didn't tell you." Huh. "Tell us what exactly?"

"About the contract."

Madison POV

I was coming in and out of consciousness can barely remember what I say anytime. Right now I'm trying to open my eyes without blinding them with the bright white light above me.

I can hear talking outside the door and can feel eyes on me. I start shifting in my bed and hear someone's breath heavily.

I open my eyes and try to set up before someone's hand on my shoulder stops me. I look up and see Ethan.

"You shouldn't sit up just yet." I nodded and laid back down. The silence in the room was suffocating, I wasn't gonna talk to him, and I knew he wasn't gonna talk to me.

Suddenly I hear yelling outside I couldn't make out the words but I could tell they were Zach's.

I closed my eyes and tried to drown out the yelling, but it wouldn't stop.

 Then, suddenly everything died down, I knew they were still talking, but it sounded like whispering from inside the room. It lasted about five minutes before the door to my room was opened and in walked all five of my friends and Zach.

"Oh good, you're awake, your friends are leaving, say bye."

 I looked towards them and they all looked weird and emotionless, it was strange, I've only ever seen my brothers act like this.

"They finally convinced you guys to leave huh?" I joked, pushing the button on my bed to put me in a sitting position.

They didn't say anything but kept starting at me like they hated me, I didn't like it.

 "What's wrong?" I asked tilting my head. I've seen them act like this to other people at our school or even the teachers, but it's never been directed towards me, if they were mad they would just act mad.

"What happened why are you mad?" They still wouldn't answer me. Thankfully Logan's mom walked in, probably taking all the boys home.

 "Hey Maddie how are you?" She asked hugging me. At least she still likes me. "I'm fine, and you?"

"I'm fine dear, just taking everyone home, thank goodness they finally gave up on never leaving huh?"

I nodded and smiled and watched them leave, something's up.

"What the hell did you say to them?" I asked Zach the second they left.

 "Language."

"Don't do that, tell me what you told them." He looked up from whatever he was doing on his phone and stared at me for at least a minute before he talked.

"Why didn't you tell them?"

"Tell them what?" He stood up and walked towards the end of my bed and slightly bent over it.

"One of your friends was yelling at me, questioning why we started to act differently towards you, which lead me to believe you never told them about the contact you gave me."

Oh shit. They know about the contract and they know I lied to them, that's why they acted like that.

"You didn't."

"So I explained to them that I started acting differently so that my fifteen year old sister wouldn't move out,"

Oh my God. I rapidly got my phone out of my school bag, which was placed on my bedside table and tried calling them, but no one picked up.

 I texted them all privately and spammed the group chat for an hour but no one answered.

Great.

The people I love most in the world hate me right now and it's all my fault.

Jonah POV

I don't know why she wouldn't tell us. The ride home was silent other than Logan's mom trying to start conversation, but failing.

 I got dropped off at home and checked the dozens of messages and calls I had from Maddie.

I wasn't going to call her back, I was still too mad about it to even talk about it, but I did check her messages.

(J-Jonah M-Maddie)

J please answer me-M

J please-M

Jonah-M

Jonah I didn't mean to do anything I promise-M

Please say something, anything-M

Please-M

And after that about one hundred more in the group chat and about a dozen calls.

Leave it Madison-J

———————

Hey guys hope you're having a great day. Thx for reading, commenting, and voting.

Word count-1268