chapter twenty two

It's been a week since I started talking to my friends again, but it feels different.

We've never had this big of a fight before, sure we've had little ones every now and then, but they always got resolved in less than an hour.

I've been used to seeing them everyday since I was three, but now we were apart and I feel kind of like an outsider.

I know my friends love me, and I'm probably just being stupid, but I still can't get over the fact Alex told all of our friends about his brother, but not me. 

I don't want to drive myself crazy thinking about this, but I can't help but feel like he didn't tell me for more of a reason than just him wanting to protect my feelings.

I'm on my way to school with my brothers now, since I've been letting them take me to and from it, unless I was going to a friend's house.

I've actually been texting Jace recently, which I now is kind of weird, especially with his past with my brothers, but it's not really getting in the way.

He's actually really funny and sweet and he's sorry for being such a jerk about my brothers earlier this year.

I've haven't been telling him any deep stuff or anything going on with my brothers or friends currently, because I'm still not sure if I can fully trust him yet.

I've just been talking to him about school and random stuff like that. 

I thinks it's actually been helping me get over all the Alex crap by having someone I can talk to that wouldn't go blab to Alex immediately.

I love my friends and I know they're trying to do what's best for all of us, but sometimes being friends with only people in your friend group can get tiring.

But I'm still so happy to be talking to my friends again, it felt so weird not seeing them daily. 

"Madison."

I looked up at Jasper in the passenger seat, who was staring back at me.

"We're here."

I nodded and got out of the car.

I walked to math and met my friends in there, sitting in our normal seats.

They were talking and I was just kind of sitting there. It's been weird these past few days, I've never felt so disconnected from my best friends before.

I heard commotion from outside the door and as I looked over there Jace walked in.  I smiled at him and walked over to talk to him. 

After all this friendship crap it's been really nice having Jace around.

We talked about random, meaningless stuff till the bell rang, so I left him to go sit with my other friends.

The teacher announces that for our next unit we'll be working with a partner to learn the material and present it to the class at the end of the unit.

"The partners will be the same people you were partnered with for the last project." I looked at Jace and smiled.

At least this time when I work with him, we'll already be friends and he hopefully won't be as big of a jerk as he was before.

"Meet with your partners and begin, the directions are on the board."

I walked over to Jace and we started working, he invited me over to his house later to work on it, seeing as it would easily take three weeks to complete, and we barely  have two.

I told him that would work and we just talked the rest of the class. Honestly right now it's easier to talk to him than it is to talk to the others.

Don't get me wrong, I love my friends to death, but recently it just feels like they haven't completely forgiven me, and I don't think I've totally forgiven them either, but us freezing each other out like we did before obviously didn't work, so we'll just have to try to get things back to how they were.