chapter twenty three

What the hell did I just do? I rushed  downstairs and ran towards the door as I heard footsteps behind me.

"Madison wait!" Jace yelled running down the stairs. 

I opened the door and quickly slammed it behind me as I let out a sigh. 

"Maddie?" I jumped as I heard that behind me. 

I slowly turned around to come face to face with Ethan, with my eyes wide and lips parted, looking like a dear caught in headlights.

"Is everything okay?" He asked with one of his eyebrows raised. 

"Yep, everything's fine." I mumbled walking down to his car. 

I got in the front seat since neither of the twins were there.

We stayed silent for a while before Ethan broke it. 

"So how long have you been seeing him."

I looked towards him with wide eyes. Did Jace's mom say something? 

"What? I'm not seeing him, what makes you think that?" I ask, to be completely honest I have no clue what this means for me and Jace since there's a 99% chance we're both going to act like this never happened.

He looks towards me for a second before his eyes go back on the road.

"Well to start you ran out of his house looking flustered, you didn't stop as he ran down the stairs calling your name either."

We stopped at a red light and he turned his whole body towards me. "Plus when Sawyer dropped you off your lipstick wasn't smudged." He said moving his hand to wipe some lipstick off from on my chin.

My eyes widened as I turned to look out the car window, avoiding eye contact. 

"I won't tell anyone." He said softly.

"Really?" I asked looking at him. 

"Yeah," he said looking back at the road when the light turned green "I don't care, as long as he doesn't do anything. Tell the others when you're ready."

I smiled at him even though he wasn't looking at me. 

"Thank you." I whispered, he nodded in acknowledgment.

"So are you two dating or whatever?" He asked, I snorted, "Nope, you got here just as we um-" I trailed off, not wanting to finish the sentence.

He laughed at me and continued driving.

———————

When we got home I immediately ran upstairs to my room, avoiding my brothers. I fixed my lipstick in the car and my cheeks didn't look as red as they did in the car, but my brothers somehow always know everything.

I laid in my bed thinking about what just happened. Does this make me a bad person? I mean I did go to the dance with Theo, but that was just as friends, even though it didn't feel like it.

This would be so much easier if I knew what he was thinking. 

Why are boys so difficult to understand?

I sat up when I heard a knock at my door and sprinted to my bathroom to make sure I didn't have any more lip gloss on my chin, just to be sure.

"Come in!" I yelled jumping into my bed.

Jasper walked in eyeing me weirdly before me sighed and said "dinner." Before walking out.

I followed him reluctantly, really needing time to clear my head before I had any contact with human beings.