Chapter 8: Energy has shifted.

"Do it with all your heart, or don't do it at all." - Ron Lim

"You're either going to live a life that you will be happy in, or live a life where you had to settle into. It's up to you." - Rachel Wolchin

<=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=>

One day, a heavy atmosphere hung over the class.

However, this atmosphere was by no means pessimistic. It was filled with just the right amount of tension.

The first to take this in was Class D's teacher, Chabashira-sensei.

"Please find your seats. All of you seem to have made plenty of preparations."

As soon as she walked into the classroom, the atmosphere quickly grew heavier and became more dignified.

Compared to before, the class we presented her with looked natural. In this respectful atmosphere, Chabashira-sensei didn't hide her surprise.

"Everyone looks rather serious. It's hard for me to believe that everyone here is part of Class D."

"That's because today is when you announce the results of the mid-term exam, right?"

Ike spoke with a slightly nervous look on his face. Chabashira-sensei responded with a sly smile. One that was oddly familiar to everyone else by now.

"That's exactly right. You're required to drop out immediately if you fail your midterm or final exams. I've told you this before, so it should still be fresh in your memories. It's natural to be nervous or anxious, but none of you even had the proper mentality until now. I'm glad to see all of you growing up."

Chabashira-sensei commended her student's new, never-before-seen attitude, but that doesn't mean that our scores will be any better.

The only real change has been to our mentalities. Academics aren't as important as it seems, however, this time I was getting a very complicated feeling of what is about to come.

As a matter of course, Chabashira-sensei dared to say this.

"However, you'll need to be prepared for the consequences if you've failed. So now I'm going to post the midterm exam results. Make sure you don't mix up your name and score."

The reason why she reminded us is precisely that this warning is genuine.

If someone was unable to accept their scores and reacted violently, the school wouldn't hesitate to respond harshly with ample evidence from the cameras watching the students installed in every classroom.

"Sure enough, I can see everyone's test scores."

"Of course. It's one of the rules of the school."

Regardless of the student's willingness to have their personal information displayed, the results for all the students in Class D were posted on the blackboard.

There's absolutely no privacy at all. The results are always revealed without reservation.

Just as a salesman's performance chart is posted for the entire company, it reveals those at the top and those at the bottom.

In cases like these, the ones who stand out the most are those with particularly good or bad grades.

Those who fall behind are the ones who will suffer and become subjected to selfish pressure and contempt from their surroundings.

"For all subjects, it's fine to consider the passing grade to be a score of 40 points or more. Those who do not meet this standard will be subjected to expulsion."