Chapter 10: Nighthawk

"Every man is a creature of the age he lives and a few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time." - Voltaire

<=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=>

A/N: Author Note in the beginning? Kinda weird right?

I apologize, but I will do the birthday chapter after this one since I completely forgot that Sakura was missing LMAO. (sorry to the Sakura fans)

Excuse my dumbass and enjoy my awful writing <3

<=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=><=>

"I'll go get another cup of coffee."

"Ooh, me too!"

It had been more than 30 minutes since Yukimura had started to confirm the results of their exams in Pallet.

He hasn't looked up from the papers yet, and it looks like it was going to take a while longer for him to decide on a plan.
Hasebe and Miyake went to the cashier with their empty cups.

Pallet had a policy where your second cup would be half price, although only valid on the same day. Pallet sold coffee that was cheap, tasty, and generally impeccable. It seems to be growing in popularity among first-year students.

Hasebe and Miyake were already preparing to drink their third cups, but Yukimura, who was absorbed in his work, hadn't even finished the second half of his first.

His attention was completely absorbed by the textbooks, notes, and test papers, considering how to make the best progress for the study group.

"That looks like a lot of work."

"That's because I've effectively never taught people how to study. I used to teach an idiot how to stay crammed until late at night back in middle school, but I couldn't stand doing that. He didn't have any of the fundamentals, and wasn't able to concentrate on the material very well."

Yukimura set his pen on the table and looked up at the ceiling as if recalling that time.

"Now I can't forget the time that I wasted. I thought it was stupid to teach people how to study. During the first semester, when you and Horikita held a study group to stop those idiots from failing, I was laughing at you in my heart. The same goes for the group made by Hirata. Doesn't it just seem like a waste of time?

Someone who doesn't study is almost always someone who hates doing it in the first place. I put in a day or two of effort to get rid of failing grades, so if they just go back to how things were before they're just wasting my time."

Rather than being abusive, Yukimura seemed to be muttering his honest thoughts.

"Then, why did you decide to teach us this time?"

It's difficult to compare the cramming that Yukimura taught to the final exams. If you don't study thoroughly, you shouldn't expect to overcome the difficulty.

Yukimura is under a lot of pressure. If Hasebe and Miyake get expelled, he would probably choose to shoulder the responsibility himself.

If it got to that point, he would look past the fact that it was their responsibility and start to regret that he could have taught them better. That's the type of person that Yukimura is.

"I was useless during the sports festival. What I had determined to be unnecessary had caught up with me. The only difference here is whether the school prioritizes athletics or academics."

Ike, Yamauchi, Sudō, and other students who wouldn't study. Yukimura who wouldn't exercise?

Despite their differences, since he had judged that the school determines these things to be of equal importance, he had come to this conclusion.